CF Cards

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Removed User 3, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Need to buy some more Cards before next weeks Holidays.

I have been using Ulta 2 2Gb cards.

What is benefit of Extreme 3 other than faster write speed.

Or is it just the later one ?

2. faster read speeds as well, so moving from card to PC is quicker. I notice the difference between Sandisk Ultra II and Ridata 150x in terms of moving data off the card. Ultra II hovers around the 7-8MB/sec mark, Ridata is around 13-16MB/sec. Not withstanding that the Ridata is cheaper here as well, made it an easy decision.

3. Thanks Jimmy for your comment. Forgot about the read speed too.

4. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    It depends upon your controller's transfer speed. You get no benefit from buying a CF card that can work faster than your card reader or camera controller. These things get measured as PIO or UDMA speeds. Generally, the higher number is faster.

5. Thanks William for your input.

6. adaml

adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    chicago
    Sandisk markets the Extreme III not for its read/write speeds, but for its ability to withstand rigorours conditions, such as temperature extremes, vibration, etc.

Unless that's an issue for you, I think you're wise to stay with the much cheaper and just as reliable under normal conditions, Ultra II.

7. Thanks Adam. Picked up 2 Ultra 2 Gb for almost same price as 1 Extreme.

Crazy situ. :mad: