CF dilema

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Julien, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    I'm going to be covering a big event for a magazine next month and I just realised that I only have 1 memory card for my D2H ... so as this will be important I'd like to have a backup card just in case , not to mention that having a second one will allow me to take more photos.

Now for the question : is it worth to go for a Sandisk Extreme IV over the Exreme III ( or the equivalent from Lexar ) ? I'm sure more speed is better ( especially when shooting at 8fps ) but I'm stumped :confused:

2. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi julien-

if you can afford it, go for the faster card. the faster the better, and any future camera body should be able to maximize the use of the card.

i used my D2H last sunday with a 4GB card, and it's the first time ever that i covered a parade where i didn't have to change the card (600+ photos, NEF compressed)!

ricky

3. Go for the best and biggest !!
    Seriously I would get the fastest and 4gig is probably enough capacity, in fact get two - you will probably have so much fun filling them up. Don't forget extra batteries too!!!

4. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    That's what I was thinking too Ricky, though I'd be scared to have that many photos on one card, if ever it went corrupt I'd go mad :mad:

4Gb seems a lot Geoff. I already have a 2Gb and since the D2H's RAW files aren't that big I can store plenty. But looking at that card made me realise that it was only USB 1 and 30x : going to a 133x and USB 2 will be life changing !! :eek:

5. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I don't think you really need the Extreme IV's. I use Extreme III's in my D2x and they are fine. I would still go for at least 4 GB though. You don't have to fill them if you don't want to and the bigger cards will serve you better when you upgrade your D2H :smile:

6. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Unfortunately I live in France ... But thanks for the heads up :wink:

Yep that's what I ended up getting, an Extreme III 4Gb. I can't wait to fill'er up :biggrin:

7. Even an Ultra will write faster than the D2h will allow. The main advantage with the Extreme's are the speed you can transfer to your pc, thats where the speed increase will show up. Of course future camera's will make use of the faster write times so in that case I'd say get the fastest you can afford, just don;t expect any real difference with in-camera performance right now :)