CF Express cards and Z6/Z7 . . latest news

Real Name
Don Roy
As I understand the tech, the camera does not write images to a CFexpress card any faster. The faster cards and reader just allow faster downloading to a computer. I see it like a USB3 thumb drive plugged into a USB2 device (EG Z camera) where it works a USB2 speeds, but when plugged into a PC USB3 socket, it runs st USB3 speed. Whether I'm right or wrong, I know CFexpress won't help my photos come out any better. I'm good as is, for now. I think it's just a lot of 'Ooohhhh, preeeeety'. :)

Real Name
Walter Rowe
As I understand the tech, the camera does not write images to a CFexpress card any faster. The faster cards and reader just allow faster downloading to a computer. I see it like a USB3 thumb drive plugged into a USB2 device (EG Z camera) where it works a USB2 speeds, but when plugged into a PC USB3 socket, it runs st USB3 speed. Whether I'm right or wrong, I know CFexpress won't help my photos come out any better. I'm good as is, for now. I think it's just a lot of 'Ooohhhh, preeeeety'. :)
The CFexpress in the Z6/Z7 would be 2-channel, same as XQD, but faster than XQD. The bus inside the Z system is fast enough to push the CFexpress 2-channel. The real benefit of CFexpress long term is that it can push up to 8 channels in parallel, each at 1 GB per sec. That is write and read speed. That would enable very high frame rate with 8K video.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/09/04/sandisk-reveals-new-speedy-type-b-cfexpress-media/

https://progradedigital.com/sd-express-a-comparison-to-cfexpress/

https://www.compactflash.org/cfexpress

Real Name
Don Roy
Walter, your links just say the cards are faster, not that they run at those speeds when plugged into a Z. The 2.20 firmware release says Z's now 'support' CFexpress (it's fine to plug one in, will be recognized, wasn't before), not that they actually utilize the increased speed ability. I'm open to be proved wrong, would be nice actually, but I have not seen anything yet to say CFex is faster in the camera.

Real Name
Chris
Walter, your links just say the cards are faster, not that they run at those speeds when plugged into a Z. The 2.20 firmware release says Z's now 'support' CFexpress (it's fine to plug one in, will be recognized, wasn't before), not that they actually utilize the increased speed ability. I'm open to be proved wrong, would be nice actually, but I have not seen anything yet to say CFex is faster in the camera.
Well we are all waiting on definitive tests but based on what I know and how the architecture works, there are a few things that would facilitate faster in camera write speeds. One being utilizing PCI-e 3.0 (vice 2.0 for xqd) and also NVMe which is much more efficient. Time will tell I guess; how much improvement we see, but if I were a betting man I would say we will see atleast some improvement just based on the change in architecture and the way it processes information.

Are these theoretical Z6/7 faster write times based on the paid update or the firmware download? My understanding of the two updates is one of compatibility and one of making a change to unlock the second lane of data (an in-house operation along with a specific type of sensor calibration). Is that wrong?

For the most part, I’m not bumping into the buffer, so I’m not experiencing any issues with speed using XQD. If I ever need to send the camera in for service or repair, I’ll probably do the update, if for no other reason than later resale value.

Real Name
Chris
Are these theoretical Z6/7 faster write times based on the paid update or the firmware download? My understanding of the two updates is one of compatibility and one of making a change to unlock the second lane of data (an in-house operation along with a specific type of sensor calibration). Is that wrong?

For the most part, I’m not bumping into the buffer, so I’m not experiencing any issues with speed using XQD. If I ever need to send the camera in for service or repair, I’ll probably do the update, if for no other reason than later resale value.
The existing architecture of the camera has two lanes for PCIe already, so the free update only changes the data format and network topology within (to be more efficient and faster capability) which is PCIe 3.0 and NVMe usage. So no, you don’t need to do the paid update to get the theoretical speed increase (if any). The paid update is a hardware change that allows for RAW video output and Apple Pro Res codec usage so you would only need to do that if you planned on recoding raw video to an external device.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Well we are all waiting on definitive tests but based on what I know and how the architecture works, there are a few things that would facilitate faster in camera write speeds. One being utilizing PCI-e 3.0 (vice 2.0 for xqd) and also NVMe which is much more efficient. Time will tell I guess; how much improvement we see, but if I were a betting man I would say we will see atleast some improvement just based on the change in architecture and the way it processes information.
The Z bodies will utilize PCIe 3.0 to support CFexpress according to Nikon sources.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Well I guess we have to wait for a brave soul to buy one of these CFExpress cards and test it on their Z6/7 to see if the green light stays on for a shorter time and if the buffer is bigger with the CFExpress card.

Then we will know for sure ;-)

I think one of the features of the D6 is much higher write speed with CFExpress cards, not sure of the old design Z6/7 will benefit much, but lets try it and find out....

Latest threads

Top Bottom