CF File - NIKON001.DSC

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by petert053, Dec 25, 2005.

1. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I've been experimenting with using an automated system for downloading images to my computer (via ACDSee) and Windows Explorer (the "manual" cut & paste way). I was looking at the files that are on the CF itself and noticed a file named "NIKON001.DSC" at the CF root... does anyone know what this file is for? Just curious...

Thanks...

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

It tells the Nikon software to expect files from Nikon cameras in the folders underlying the main DCIM folder.

Each manufacturer puts a similar tag file on the card.

3. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I assume that's added whenever you format the CF ...and is this the reason that they always say format in the camera, not with the computer?

4. nfoto

nfoto Guest

No. If the camera detects a formatted card, but no tag file and/or no DCIM folder, the missing item(s) will be added automatically. In fact this check seems to be performed immediately when a fresh card is inserted into the camera.

In general you should periodically format the card in the PC instead. The formatting done by the camera won't prevent fragmented files. You might also once in a while run a utilty to test for bad areas on the card. Lexar provides this utility (which can recover files too) with all their new CF cards.