CFexpress

With CFexpress on the horizon and some cards starting to appear, it seems time to ask some questions.
First, I understand Nikon will be issuing a firmware upgrade for the current cameras (D5, D850, D500 and Z series) to allow the use of the new CFexpress cards. Does this mean that, once upgraded, I can only use CFexpress or can I use both CFexpress and XQD cards interchangably? If the upgrade kills the use of the XQD card, I think we all have to be very careful sending cameras in for repair as Nikon has a habit of upgrading firmware every time something is in.
With the newer cameras coming (specifically the D6) and assuming it will be shipped CFexpress-capable, does that also mean no XQD cards?
The latter isn't an issue for me as I always buy new cards with a new camera but it would be nice to know that I have options in a pinch.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I've heard a lot of users talk about a f/w update to use CFexpress cards in D850,D5, etc. But has Nikon stated that they will do this? Thankfully I have enough XQD cards and no intent to buy a new camera for a very long time.

The last thing I heard about it was last week and Nikon has supposedly put off the firmware update until Nov 2019, supposedly waiting for the cards to be released. If you follow the mirrorless Z releases you can pick up more info, the Z's seem to be getting most if not all of Nikon's love.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I've heard a lot of users talk about a f/w update to use CFexpress cards in D850,D5, etc. But has Nikon stated that they will do this? Thankfully I have enough XQD cards and no intent to buy a new camera for a very long time.
Yes. Nikon stated this. Read #4 on this press release.
4. Support for CFexpress memory cards
The new firmware will provide support for CFexpress, a new standard for memory cards. Having passed durability tests in which they were inserted and removed from a camera 12,000 times, these memory cards offer users a greater sense of security. They also offer high-speed performance that will provide users with a more efficient workflow. After upgrading, users will be able to use both CFexpress as well as XQD cards in their camera interchangeably. In addition to the Z 7 and Z 6, in the future, CFexpress memory card support will be added to the Nikon D5 (XQD-Type), Nikon D850, and Nikon D500 digital SLR cameras as well.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom