Chained shut [B&W D2h Img]

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Todd_D1x, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Todd_D1x

Todd_D1x

Feb 23, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I was playing around with my new 50mm F/1.4 the other day and converted thses two shots to B&W and added the creative edge to both. I think it helps add to the composition, what about you?

D2h W/ 50mm F/1.4 at F/4 ISO 200.

Todd

2. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Todd, I think the b&w conversion helps a lot, I think the faded/vignette edge helps nicely, but I'm not so sure on the bevelled edge and frame. Then again, I'm often accused of thinking too much and it does make my brain hurt.

Having said that, of those two images, I prefer the first one - something about the b&w and the wood making it seem more olde worlde - ife youe gete whate Ie meane

Neil

3. Well done Todd

Todd, I really like number #1 - nice capture and conversion.

BTW, how do you like the 50 1.4? I'm shooting my first wedding in August (yippie!) and I expect the 50 to be my primary lens choice. Although I have the 1.8 I suspect the 1.4 is sharper wide open and I'm sure I can sell the 1.8 for $80 to a friend so upgrading is cheap.

Thanks,

Joe

4. Todd_D1x

Todd_D1x

Feb 23, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for your comments. As for your wedding question, I used the 50mm for weddings all of the time. The only time I had trouble was when I had to shoot a large group of people. I had to move back or switch lenses. But now I use the 28-70 AF-S and it is awesome. But your 5omm should do just fine. I like the F/1.4 because I can stop it down to about F/3.5 or 4 and do great. I hear the 1.8 may be sharper wide open, but you judge:

original.

Good luck and let me know if I can help more.
    Todd

5. Todd_D1x

Todd_D1x

Feb 23, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Thanks Neil, I apprecite the comments and suggestions. I have the layers still open when I finish the frame action so I can modify the bevil. I may try to reduce it some.

Todd