Chalcid Wasp on a blade of grass

Mean looking for such a tiny critter. D7000/105VR/20mm tube/R1 handheld.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Mike
That's incredibly sharp Chad! I'm not a bug shooter....yet, but enjoy seeing the details of our smallest creatures.

I have to ask a question. You shoot macros handheld and are very good at it. I've shot some handheld and am not steady enough to hold on the point of focus, which is generally SO thin. I just kind of lean through the shot shooting at CH, getting many, MANY frames to look at later, hoping to find the one that I was after. How many frames do you shoot to get the sharpness you achieve? What is your technique?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great shot, Chad!
Thanks Dossy!

Super detailed shot Chad.
Cheers.
Mike
Thanks Mike!

This is great Chad! Thanks for sharing. I need to get a set of tubes.
Thanks Manny! They do add to the fun. I use, and highly recommend the Kenko's,

Wow! Amazingly sharp for such a challenging subject.

Glenn
Thanks Glenn!

Great capture Chad.
Thanks Nate!

Very nice work...! :cool:
Thanks William!

That's incredibly sharp Chad! I'm not a bug shooter....yet, but enjoy seeing the details of our smallest creatures.

I have to ask a question. You shoot macros handheld and are very good at it. I've shot some handheld and am not steady enough to hold on the point of focus, which is generally SO thin. I just kind of lean through the shot shooting at CH, getting many, MANY frames to look at later, hoping to find the one that I was after. How many frames do you shoot to get the sharpness you achieve? What is your technique?
Thanks Mike! I shoot, normally, 3-4 frames one at a time, 9pt AF-C using the AF-On focus like you would with a BIF or kid playing soccer. I look at it as tracking my movement rather than tracking the subject. I shoot the 105VR at f18 and I leave the VR on. I am constantly surprised at just how good the AF is with the D7000/105VR. I shoot at 1/250th and so the flashes freeze any subject movement.

Whether its the subject moving, or the camera (me) - something is moving. When it looks clear, steady yourself and roll the shutter at a steady rate.

And I hold my breath.:biggrin:

Real Name
Mike
Thanks Mike! I shoot, normally, 3-4 frames one at a time, 9pt AF-C using the AF-On focus like you would with a BIF or kid playing soccer. I look at it as tracking my movement rather than tracking the subject. I shoot the 105VR at f18 and I leave the VR on. I am constantly surprised at just how good the AF is with the D7000/105VR. I shoot at 1/250th and so the flashes freeze any subject movement.

Whether its the subject moving, or the camera (me) - something is moving. When it looks clear, steady yourself and roll the shutter at a steady rate.

That's pretty much the way I do it when I'm hand-holding.

My guess is that shooting on CH is hurting more than helping. When I use CH, its for things at a distance because I find that I naturally move the camera just a bit. Its not noticeable with a larger object further away, but at macro distances the DOF makes it very noticeable. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Thanks Dossy!

Thanks Mike!

Thanks Manny! They do add to the fun. I use, and highly recommend the Kenko's,

Thanks Glenn!

Thanks Nate!

Thanks William!

You shoot macro magnifications with AF? Interesting.

Holding the breath.....one of the best macro techniques. I sometimes catch myself holding my breath so long that I'll get lightheaded (too focused on shooting).

I shoot almost everything with AF, and as often as not one handed because the other is pushing/pulling/holding things out of the way. I wrap the strap around my wrist for support.

Real Name
Mike
You shoot macro magnifications with AF? Interesting.

Holding the breath.....one of the best macro techniques. I sometimes catch myself holding my breath so long that I'll get lightheaded (too focused on shooting).
The AF is the one thing I haven't tried. I'll give the CF a shot next time to experiment. I usually take a deep breath, let it half way out and hold it. :m71:

Thanks Karen! Start with the small one (leave the big one at home :biggrin:) - they are a lot of fun!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom