Challenge #15 [Blur] Submission Thread

Discussion in 'Challenge and Contests Forum' started by yokimbo, Nov 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Please submit your images in this thread for Challenge #15

BLUR

2. Minnows in the Kelp

Here is my entry for Challenge #15. It is a digital blend of two images taken with the D70 and 70-200mm VR with the 17IIE TC. Both images (RAW) were shot at 340mm, at ISO 200, F9 and color mode iiia (landscape). The "minnows" shot was done at 1/30 sec. and the "kelp", at 1/40 sec. hand held. Neither image was cropped. The images were combined using Russell Brown's "Place-A-Matic" action script for PSCS2. After the image was flattened, I touch it up in PSCS2. (That's where I eliminated my dust spots!)

Hope you enjoy "Minnows in the Kelp."

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

P.S. My husband says these are probably sardines, not minnows. I captured these shots from the Monterey Fishing Pier, not far from Cannery Row.

52424766.blurfromthrseawithmatte.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2005
  3. Freeze frame

I will take a shot at this challenge. I did this in photoshop and have never done any effect editing before so be kind if you think it goofy.
    [​IMG]

4. Here's my contribution. Although I'm good at blurring images unwillingly, I thought I'd throw in one that was done intentionally.

dragon heart

original.

Exif

Photo taken today, November 20th (exif says 21st, but I obviously forgot to reset my camera to our time zone after returning from a trip to Asia:smile: ). No post-processing, except cropping and subtle curves.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2005
  5. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    First challenge attempt for me

Hi

Never done one before so here is my first go.

Hope it is ok.

Best wishes

Ray

[​IMG]

6. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Title - Morning Fog on the Farm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ( A two image panorama stitched with PTgui)

Regards

RFC

7. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Blur More [IR]

Having a case with 25 kg worth of lenses well-known to blur any subject beyond recognition, I could just have picked up one of them and shot my contribution to this challenge, but that would be too easy and quite unfair as well. "Blur" can be interpreted outside its more literal sense. So, after returning from my last field journey and starting to cull my images, I found an obvious candidate.

IR is know to produce grainy and potentially blurred images. With my D70 modified for IR I can play around with superfast speeds at hand. One of the many results obtained on the trip is shown here,

Dump of EXIF from my data base is as follows,

Råfil: DSC_6273.NEF; kamera: NIKON D70; opptaksdato: 2005:11:18 14:28:09; lukkertid: 1/125 s; blender: f/22.0; program: M; lysmåling: CentreW; ISO: 800; brennvidde: 8 mm

This farmer's house, set on a windy coastline, might be one of the most photographed in Norway, so taking a fresh view of it calls for some ingenuity. Just a challenge I like to wrestle with.

8. cmpalmer

cmpalmer

Jan 27, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    What you don't want to see (if you are a fish)...

65510165_590e9c346d_b.

EXIF Data

9. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Child in Motion

Okay... it's time for the "newbie" to join in :biggrin: ... let's see if I can get this editor to work with me...

[​IMG]

There was a kid's triathlon held in my neighborhood just this past Sunday. I decided to head up there and play around with some sports shots (not my usual area of interest, but it was a beautiful morning and I had been curious about the event anyway). I didn't have the best angle for this shot and was shooting from across the street, but I liked the end result... and it just so happens to fit the blur theme (right?).

Peter

10. Neeyak blur

From my very recent trip to New york.

[​IMG]

11. My Night-time Blur!

This is really a challenge, Kim! I have lot's of blurred pictures, but it's hard to take one which looks good blurred! :eek:

Here's my Entry:

"Watermill"
    original.

Full EXIF Info
    Date/Time 16-Nov-2005 21:25:45
    Model NIKON D70
    Flash Used No
    Focal Length 44 mm
    Exposure Time 6.00 sec
    Aperture f/5.6
    ISO Equivalent 200
    Exposure Bias -1/3
    White Balance (-1)
    Metering Mode matrix (5)
    Exposure Program manual (1)

12. Ain't Blur

Said the little fellow...

Well, this is my first challenge entry as well. Blur courtesy of the shallow DOF, otherwise not much post processing (auto contrast and pulling in slightly on the two ends of RGB levels, very slight USM).

[​IMG]
    Camera make : NIKON CORPORATION
    Camera model : NIKON D70
    Date/Time : 2005:11:20 09:16:26
    Flash used : No
    Focal length : 105.0mm (35mm equivalent: 157mm)
    Exposure time : 0.0025 s (1/400)
    Aperture : f/5.0
    Whitebalance : Manual (Cloudy -2)
    Metering Mode : spot

Regards,
    Jonathan

13. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    My challenge 15 submission for "blur"

"One too many"

45628578-O.

Exif Data

Original date/time: 2005:11:22 19:44:20
    Original date/time subsecs: 96
    Exposure time: 11/10
    F-stop: 2.8
    ISO speed: 100
    Focal length: 24.0000
    Focal length (35mm): 36
    Flash: Not fired
    Exposure mode: Auto
    White balance: Manual
    Orientation: Top-left
    Light source: Flash
    Exposure bias: -0.3333
    Metering mode: Pattern
    Exposure program: Aperture priority

14. Dry Blur

Well, a last minute nighttime shoot yielded me about 50 NEFs. I've got about 8 or so processed and posted on my nikonians gallery, but here is the one i've selected.
    Dry Blur
    24761DSC9205-2.
    Shooting info/comment:
    Nikon D70
    ISO 200
    Lens: Rodenstock XR-Heligon 68mm f/1.0 (fixed) (mount provided by BR-5 /K4/K5 rings/BR-2A)
    Shutter Speed: 1/500 sec
    Comments: Since this was shot with one of my Xray lenses (Rodenstock XR-Heligon; this one is the 68mm, the second longest I own), and the mount was not yet converted, I was physically holding the lens in place. However, the particular combination of pieces I selected fit perfectly and gave me the right extension with a perfect fit around the base with the Br-5 ring.
    Since this was shot late at night, I used a combo of ambient artificial and flash- I mounted my SB-600 on the AS19 holder, screwed that onto the monopod, leaned that against the wall and used the strap to suspend it in place. I placed the 600 in remote, rotated the head 180 degrees, tilted to 75 degrees (gave me the right bounce angle) with the diffuser out. Commander mode set on camera flash, electrical tape used to prevent effect on exposure, which at the close ranges of these lenses can be quite prominent.
    Time: 9:22:09 PM Eastern time Nov. 22nd 2005 (UTC Nov. 23rd 2005 02:22:09...in other words just 9.5 hours short of the deadline :smile:
    Copyright Harrison Diamond
    (p.s. it is good that i previewed the post- I posted a 2000x1330 pixel version to Nikonians which they resized to 1280x851 with really nasty compression. I resaved from the JPEG I converted in CS2 from the NEF at max quality, then resized to 1280x851 to begin with, saving as quality 10 JPEG. Now it looks much better and hasn't been massacred (the compression cut the size of the file by 2/3!)
    Enjoy!

15. Ok kids, submission time is over. As usual, there are lots of great entries.