1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Challenge #60 Results thread

Discussion in 'Challenge and Contests Forum' started by Dave Dickerson, Mar 4, 2009.

1. And the winners are....
    1st place with 41 points, #18 The sum rises above, by waltny
    green1.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2nd place with 35 points, #31 Coiled and Focused, by Jeff A
    3307954230_4bef2ae629_o.jpg

3rd place with 19 points, #33 Credit-crunch puts squeeze on my money!, by Paul aka MontyDog
    d_D3C0406.jpg

Congratulations to Tim, Jeff and Paul. Super images and well deserving of the honors.

A big round of applause to all who entered. This was a very strong field, and I found choosing my top three very tough. Well done all.

2. Wonderful images all, and so were the others in this particular Challenge!

Congratulations to you three!

3. Congratulations Tim, Jeff and Paul! There were some really special pictures posted in this thread; it really was a tough call.

4. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Wow, Ive got to say that with all the quaility entries Im surprised mine "rose above":wink: the rest. Id like to thank all that thought highly enough of my shot to vote for me. Its a big upswing from the last challenge I entered that I didnt even get a single vote.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2009
  5. congrats to the winners

and thanks to all who voted for my entry "stalking"

6. Congratulations to Tim, Jeff and Paul! Strong work on all 3 shots, and a very impressive variety of interpretations of "green!" :smile:

Walt, I look forward to your challenge topic! (You KNOW you want it to be "Gritty, contrasty, BnW! :biggrin: :biggrin:) .

7. sounds good to me :biggrin:

8. Rosa Chinensis

Rosa Chinensis

Aug 25, 2007
    Virginia
    Awesome entries.

Congrats to the winners!

R

9. Congratulations to the winners, beautiful images and great creativity.

Also congrats to all the entries. The standard is extremely high.

10. A big congrats to the winners... I, too, was especially impressed with the quality AND number of entries this time! Way to go everyone... and the cream of the crop rose to the top! :smile:

11. Congrats to all of the other entrants. Thanks to Dave for picking a topic that lent itself to getting creative during a season with such dull color. I was getting cabin fever and it was the inspiration I needed to get myself motivated for Spring.

Tim, I'm looking forward to the next topic and more great images from everyone. Paul, great idea for your shot. I'm sure that is how many people feel right now.

12. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Congrats to all of the winners.

I only have one problem here, (and please understand this is meant constructively) the "Credit Crunch" image was a great concept but I felt it could have been executed a little better. The editing on the image was a bit rough.

13. satelite seven

satelite seven

May 14, 2006
    london
    It was a great challenge with some really strong entries, congrats to the winners!!!!

14. satelite seven

satelite seven

May 14, 2006
    london
    Paul, I don't understand why you are singling out this particular image ?
    Are you saying it is not worthy of a third place ?
    I don't think that any of the images are entered here in the challenge for critique, they stand as they are, I think it is unfair to say we could do better.
    Perhaps I have just misunderstood you?

15. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon

Patrick,
    I thought the image concept was great, it was well worthy of third place... please don't get me wrong. I thought that the editing of the background around the handle of the C-clamp, and along the base of the bill could have been a little bit cleaner.

Why did I single out this image?

Well, it was the only one that really stood out in regards to the post processing being "less polished", combined with the fact that it was judged to be one of the top three (and conceptually I agree).

Just my personal opinion, which I can tell you from experience, usually doesn't mean much. As I stated in the original post, it was meant to be constructive.

Finally, I find it interesting that you say "I don't think that any of the images are entered here in the challenge for critique" however people give their opinions anyway regarding the images.... I think the only reason that you reacted was that my opinion wasn't percieved as 100% positive.

16. satelite seven

satelite seven

May 14, 2006
    london
    Paul,

I suppose I found your criticism not in the spirit of the challenge and although you say people give their opinions anyway, yours was the only negative one, or as you say, "not 100% positive".

I'm sure "Paul aka" will take your criticism squarely on the nose :biggrin: and this will not dissuade him from entering future challenges.

By the way Paul, did you enter this challenge because I would like to closely scrutinize your entry for any shoddy editing. :eek:  :biggrin::biggrin:

17. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Patrick,
    I have had many of my photos picked apart and negative opinions given. If a person is 100% honest with themselves, generally they will agree to some degree with the comments made. I take the comments I recieve as a means to making my images better. I only hope that Paul will as well.

In regards to my submission.... you are more than welcome to critique it to your hearts content. I am always looking for ways to improve.

Here it is, help yourself......:eek: :biggrin:

[​IMG]

18. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

19. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Paul,
    I truly hope you are feeling better and win the struggle with your illness.

My post was not meant to offend. I hope it was taken in the spirit with which it was given.

Paul

20. Congratulations to the three winning entries, they were all very deserving and showed some creativity in their taking. Each entry stands on its own as a good example of the challenge theme.

As to critiquing images in the challenge, I would like to suggest that this not be done. The images are submitted anonymously and our votes determine the winners. Those wanting to offer congratulations should do so. That said, we have lots of forums where critique can be offered and where it is most appropriate to do so. My remarks here are not meant to be aimed specifically at anyone. I feel that nothing should detract from the winners of the contest or should be a deterrent to anyone that enters the contest in the future.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.