1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Challenge #61- Topic Thread

Discussion in 'Challenge and Contests Forum' started by waltny, Mar 8, 2009.

1. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    I want to thank Dave Dickerson for hosting the last challenge and all that though highly enough of work to place first and have the honor of hosting this Challenge. Without further ado I give you the topic of challenge #61.........Drum roll please....................

SPRING!

Here is what dictionary.com has to say about spring...

spring (sprng)
    v. sprang (sprng) or sprung (sprng), sprung, spring·ing, springs

v.intr.
    1. To move upward or forward in a single quick motion or a series of such motions; leap.
    2. To move suddenly on or as if on a spring: The door sprang shut. The emergency room team sprang into action.
    3. To appear or come into being quickly: New businesses were springing up rapidly. See Synonyms at stem1.
    4. To issue or emerge suddenly: A cry sprang from her lips. A thought springs to mind.
    5. To extend or curve upward, as an arch.
    6. To arise from a source; develop.
    7. To become warped, split, or cracked. Used of wood.
    8. To move out of place; come loose, as parts of a mechanism.
    9. Slang To pay another's expenses: He offered to spring for the dinner.

v.tr.
    1. To cause to leap, dart, or come forth suddenly.
    2. To jump over; vault.
    3. To release from a checked or inoperative position; actuate: spring a trap.
    a. To cause to warp, split, or crack, as a mast.
    b. To bend by force.
    5. To present or disclose unexpectedly or suddenly: "He sprung on the world this novel approach to political journalism" Curtis Wilkie.
    6. Slang To cause to be released from prison or other confinement.

n.
    1. An elastic device, such as a coil of wire, that regains its original shape after being compressed or extended.
    2. An actuating force or factor; a motive.
    a. Elasticity; resilience.
    b. Energetic bounce: a spring to one's step.
    4. The act or an instance of jumping or leaping.
    5. A usually rapid return to normal shape after removal of stress; recoil.
    6. A small stream of water flowing naturally from the earth.
    7. A source, origin, or beginning.
    a. The season of the year, occurring between winter and summer, during which the weather becomes warmer and plants revive, extending in the Northern Hemisphere from the vernal equinox to the summer solstice and popularly considered to comprise March, April, and May.
    b. A time of growth and renewal.
    9. A warping, bending, or cracking, as that caused by excessive force.
    10. Architecture The point at which an arch or vault rises from its support.

adj.
    1. Of or acting like a spring; resilient.
    2. Having or supported by springs: a spring mattress.
    a. Of, relating to, occurring in, or appropriate to the season of spring: spring showers; spring planting.
    b. Grown during the season of spring: spring

So there you have it. The shooting will start immediately and go to 2359 GMT 27 March 2009
    (Mods this is 3 weeks, if you think its too long let me know but spring doesnt offically start till 21 March...:wink:) .
    I hope if it doesnt look like the season spring around your area you can use your imagination and persue another interpretation.
    Lastly have fun!

2. hotshot

hotshot

Sep 29, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Interesting. I think i can work with this! Im in!

3. goffer

goffer

Nov 22, 2007
    San Diego
    goody goody!

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. Submission Thread is up!

Thanks for this nice theme..........now have to go look for it!

6. audreys124

audreys124 Guest

I'm a newbie, but I'm in too. Love challenges hehe

7. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Is it agains the rules for me to participate in this challenge?

8. GailDouglas

GailDouglas Guest

Sounds great I'm in.

9. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

10. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Your the first Paul. Thanks for the answer. Im a little out of my element for now, but Ill see what I can come up with.

11. Wowzer

Wowzer

Sep 17, 2006
    NYC
    One question, can submitters vote as well?

12. Definitely! Though it's considered rather uncouth to vote for oneself. :smile:

13. That would be about the only what I would get a vote. :biggrin: :wink: That is of course, if I entered.

14. Wowzer

Wowzer

Sep 17, 2006
    NYC
    BovineGuy,

Are you really a cowboy? I was recently in Texas and had a chance to watch a rodeo...that's a tough life, if you ask me...

15. :biggrin: No, I had a dog named Cowboy a whole lot of years ago, and the first time I needed a user name for a forum, everything I tried was already taken, so I tried Bovineguy, it seemed like a good name and it worked. So I have used it now for over 15 years. But you are right, it is a tough life. I do ride, have owned a number of horses over the years, I've worked cattle, grew up on a small ranch, but I would never call myself a Cowboy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.