1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Challenge 65 - THREE - Results

Discussion in 'Challenge and Contests Forum' started by BostonRott, Jul 2, 2009.

1. This was a lot of fun to see what people came up with, and how "three" was interpreted :smile: Thank you to all who participated!!

1st place (52pts) - Three Wise Dogs - BostonRott
    original.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2nd place (41pts) - Tryptich-Jump - MCS
    original.jpg

3rd place (18pts) - Memorial - SteveM10
    [​IMG]

Congrats to Michael and SteveM10, I enjoyed your entries.

I must admit, I feel really awkward announcing myself the winner. :frown: I will get the next Challenge up ASAP, but have no plans to enter. :redface: :rolleyes: 

2. bcoons

bcoons

Dec 6, 2007
    Central Texas
    Awkward, maybe - but well deserved win. Hey, you can't help it if those pooches stole the show. :smile: The expesssions on the two poochies on the left just cracked me and the wife up. (The third puupy with the muzzle probably got cheated of his expression!:wink:) 

Well deserved win and lots of interesting shots.

3. Bruce,

You are most kind! :redface: It actually was a challenge for me in terms of training the girls to accept their props. Xcel knows his muzzle b/c all of my dogs are trained to accept a muzzle (some countries where we travel in Europe require certain breeds to be muzzled in public.....so all my dogs are trained to accept one).

I worked with each of the girls for about 5 minutes with a clicker and some dog treats. "Wear this" click -> treat. It didn't take too long before they'd wear it until I released them. :smile: Put them in position, ran to the tripod-mounted camera, made the shot. Brought out the next dog, and repeated. Trying to shoot all 3 at once like this would have been pandemonium, can't you just see them "HeY!!!! Look what stupid thing is on YOU!?!" :rolleyes:  :smile:

4. Kudos to all-you are all winners. And Gretchen, that is truly an amazing shot--not just the photograph but also the concept! BRAVO!

5. Mimas

Mimas

Mar 21, 2009
    Infinity
    Congratulations to all - especially top 3 entries!

Hi Gretchen,
    Don't be shy - was a well deserved and honourable win, look at the significant margin in points between 1st & 2nd, no don't feel badly was a good win by the best entry :smile:

For me, the sheer work and difficulty in obtaining such a perfect image was very evident, but after reading this...
    ...makes it clear to all, no fluke shot, but a well prepared, planned, and executed shoot - congrats on a job well done in every respect.

Oh, and I'll enter...only if you do...the next challenge :wink:

6. lr0868

lr0868

May 25, 2008
    henderson, nv
    congrats all good choices for the winners!

7. Sangetsu

Sangetsu

Apr 18, 2009
    東金市
    Good stuff! I love the dogs (I wish I could get my huskies to sit still for more than 2 seconds).

I had hoped to get in on this one too, but between the rainy season and my schedule... anyway, I'm looking forward to the next challenge, and will do my best to participate.

8. Great images and great challenge, congrats to the winners :smile:

9. Congrats Gretchen, I new this was the winning picture as soon as I saw it!

10. Congratulations to Gretchen, Michael and Steve and all who participated.

11. satelite seven

satelite seven

May 14, 2006
    london
    Wow!!!!!!!! Gretchen, that is pure class, I didn't vote this time round but you would have gotten my vote anyhow, congrats to Michael and Steve, both strong entries!!!!!!!!

12. Wowzer

Wowzer

Sep 17, 2006
    NYC
    Great shot, Gretchen...see no evil, hear no evil, see no evil is what I thought.

Imaginative and fun.

13. cadman

cadman

Dec 4, 2006
    Johns Creek, GA
    congrats, gretch

14. Congratulations to the winners, all very deserving. Gretchen, your shot was special and really fit in with the theme. Way to go.

15. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    So tell me about the Rotts...are they mean dogs...or are they just getting a bad rap? I am terrified of them. It's why I have poodles. Please educate me. I do believe they are beautiful dogs.

16. A lot of the problem is media hype. They do not "suddenly turn on their owners," they do not "have locking jaws" (no mammal does), and they are not inherrently unstable or aggressive.

The breed was developed as a 'drover's dog.' They pulled carts loaded with products to market for a farmer to sell. Frequently, the routes of travel were through less than pleasant territory, and on the way home, the money was tied around the dog's neck for safe keeping. They also were used early in herding/stock work (particularly sheep/cattle).

If you're so inclined, here's a Youtube video of me with Banja (the "see no evil" dog :tongue:) , on her very first attempt at herding. Everything you see her doing is instinct. Not trying to chase/kill sheep, but rather, would like to keep them together.

The German breed standard specifically calls for the dogs to be GOOD with children. The dogs who go out and cause major problems are often dogs with poor breeding (who may be in a lot of pain due to genetic hip dysplasia), who have genetically poor temperaments (in some dogs, as in some people, sometimes, the wiring just ain't right) and who have not had any formal training.

The Rottweiler is a highly intelligent breed, and they are strong. They are not a dog to be left tied in a back yard, or kept isolated in a kennel. Think of what would happen with a highly intelligent child if left to their own devices and suffering isolation. The end result wouldn't be a pretty picture, and the same is true for Rotties. They're a smart breed who needs a smart owner, and one who is willing to put some time in with them.

Here is Emilie with Vikka ("Hear no evil")
    original.gif

And with Banja and Bort
    View attachment 379926

Does that help at all? :smile:

17. bluaeon

bluaeon

Dec 9, 2008
    CA
    cute dogs!!! the "see no evil" dog reminds me of Ving Rhames on Con Air when he wore that itty bitty shades too. hehehe

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.