Challenge: If you died today...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jjdesanto1, Dec 12, 2005.

1. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Not to be macabre in this season of holiday joy, but I found myself asking this question over the weekend: If I got hit by a bus today, what group of images would I want to be remembered by?

It may seem an odd question at first, but it forced me to go back and look at my work over 30-odd years which was tremendously enlightening. I tried to whittle the group down to 20 images, but settled on 24 which I posted to my pBase account. After, several days of agonizing, here is what I came up with:

http://www.pbase.com/jjdesanto1/bandw

So here's the challenge. If YOU got hit by the proverbial bus today, what image or images would you like to be remembered for? Show us your best work and tell us why!

2. John, great job with these images. Interesting that your 20 favorites are all black and white. I liked them all.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2005
  3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great images John.

I sit and say hummmmmmmm......

4. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Thanks Gordon

The early stuff was - of course - black and white. For this posting, I decided to convert some of the newer digital stuff to black and white because mixing the color with the black just didn't seem appropriate.

What would you post from your collection?

5. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Thanks Gale

After you say, hummmmmmmm.... What would you select?

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I don't know John.
    I guess the first image that comes to my mind is a smiling dolphin and second my best eagle shot. But those two especially, are just my favorites. From there I don't know. Personally I like bunches of them.
    But that is all on a personal level.
    What would others think memorable, well i don't know.

(Dave's and Jims Daughters flamingo images probablely go on for a long time.)

All of the pictures of my children were stolen.

The sad story. When the end comes, I am sure they will all see the big green monster..

7. Well John

Hi John, interesting selection and I personally luv black and white, great job. But your big question is just too deep for me! Knowing me, Im sure 20 pics wont do it justice :biggrin: :biggrin: LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Very powerful images John! Made even more so by black and white. When you say you converted some of your newer colour ones to black and white...What was you preferred conversion method ...if I may ask...

Thanks for posting and sharing.

Bohdan Bob Tkaczyk

9. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
  10. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
  11. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Hey Bohdan

I'm no expert on conversion from color to black and white but I used the desaturation tool in Photoshop and then adjusted the contrast and brightness until it looked good to me.

12. If I died today? What a horrible way to frame the question. I don't know and I don't care. I'm more concerned about being dead :Shocked:.

I already have a gallery of faves, and it didn't take the thought of my mortality to prepare it.

http://www.pbase.com/unclefrank/nikon

It's much easier if you're an outside observer. Nancy and I whittled your gallery down to The Best of J. J. DeSanto. When you get hit by a bus, these are the prints we'll order from your widow :wink:.

View attachment 20843

View attachment 20844

13. thanks for your feedback John

Bob

14. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Yeah, you're right...

Frank about the horrible framing. But, I'm not thinking I'm gonna die, I'm just thinking what would be my favorite shots. :biggrin:

15. I would be with a D2X in my hands photographing angels... :wink:

But this day is far far from close... :cool:

16. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Reminds me of the old "joke":

Question - What do you want people to say about you at your wake?

Answer - Look! He's moving!

17. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi john-

it is a macabre thought (never temp fate...) but i would like to be remembered by the photos that i've taken of my friends and family. i would hope that they treasure the memories and good times in those photos more than any of my attempts at "art."

unfortunately i can't show them for reasons of privacy. they're not the best shots technically nor the most compelling from a composition point of view, but i get the fuzzies whenever i look at them.

ricky

18. your shots look very good John...
    The conversion you did not the digital stuff blends very well with the images that might have been B/W right out of the box.
    Well done and a good question to ask