Chameleons & Walking Sticks In Africa - Wild

Discussion in 'Birds' started by bobhoge, Oct 9, 2005.

1. We saw wild Chameleons in Namibia in the desert, and a wild Chameleon and a wild Walking Stick in Madagascar in the rain forest.

Here is the one in Namibia:
    We found this Chameleon hiding in a Dollar Bush in the Namib Desert:
    38149719-L.

The Guide has moved it out of the bush but it is still in its dark "bush color" adaption:
    38149600-L.
    This photo is taken 24 seconds later per the EXIF and the Chameleon has changed to its "desert sand color:
    38149533-L.

It then ran back into the Dollar Bush. Note how the two sides are different colors:
    38149492-L.

Here is the Chameleon in Madagascar:
    39216230-L.

And the Walking Stick:
    39214001-L.

Slightly off subject, here is a very strange 3-dimensional Spider Web we saw in Madagascar, I hope Bob-The-Spider-Man can tell us more about it:
    39213881-L.

Bob & Nan

2. Hells Teeth. I am sorry but I have really no idea what it is. I could make a rough guess as to the species based on the shape of the web, but it would be so far out on the 'left field,' that it is not worth trying.

Best wishes. Bob F.

3. Hi Bob,

Thanks for looking.
    The web seemed unusual since it was parbolic, like a satellite dish or even a deep bowl, with additional supporting webbing below to pull it down. Much different than all the "normal" planar webs one usually sees.
    Bob

4. There are a number of species that have parabolic webs. It is just that you probably have not seen one before.

Bob F.

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent shots Bob & Nan, especially the Chameleons. Looks like you guys took advantage of the great new lenses that you got before the trip. :smile: