Change and fear, not necessarily interrelated

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Doug, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    I think you will see, this truly is a Lens Lust story, a short story about the Cafe, a few nice folks, and a few dreams.

After completing a major change in my lens lineup to be discussed soon, someone I know mentioned "never be afraid to trade or change good equipment." Good advice! ;) I really believe that now. Of course, there are a couple of things I won't trade, generally tied to them being unavailable now.

I wanted a 28 1.4D. I lusted a long time from afar, trying to not get to set on one this year, as I knew it was "out there" after I'd spent so much this last year or so, then I saw one here, I tried to turn away, but I kept going back to it, as it surprisingly remained available for a week. I contemplated a trade, but hesitated because I didn't want to give up my 28-70 a second time (they wanted one on trade). In reality, I should have probably instantly offered it up since it is after all fairly replacable glass. I didn't because I was hanging on, resistant to change.

Trying to hang on, I attempted to leverage a different lens I felt like someone else wanted back to lure their 28 1.4 away. No offense Geno! The LL made me do it!!! I was unsuccessful. :mad: But they did offer to buy back a lens outright due to their own LL disease and sellers remorse, as friends talked, I began to see the light. I sell the lens, I can buy the 28 1.4 without it being as much a burden cost wise. I did, I sold the 105 2.0DC to Geno, and got the 28 1.4 secured from Ruben. Bang! WOW! The cost of the 105 was justified as I still have a 105VR in that focal length, but look what I gain! (even if plus $$$) What a beautiful beautiful set of transactions. After seeing a shot Geno made with that 105, to keep that lens from him, would just be wrong, that is for sure.

The last few weeks, I'd begun to have sellers remorse for letting my 200-400VR go. I know I know, some of you tried to tell me!!! Truly, it had probably been going on since a few weeks after I sold it. I even tried a 300VR, but just missed the zoom at this length really, and never truly felt vested in tht beautiful lens, and the gentleman I got that lens from (Joe) also suffered a bit of sellers remorse, so I let him have the lens back and banked the funds. All the while, UPS is getting richer and richer, lol. Actually, I was considering a car trade too, one reason I was liquidating some things. That didn't last long, lol. I decided my M3 is a sweet ride, and I am keeping her.

Then a D2Xs came up, and I thought, hmmm, sell a D2X, get the Xs for now, that would be nice, had my eye on one for a while! Yes, cost some coin to do it, but got my D2Xs. UPS, ca-ching 2 ways! Genehsu, what a fantastic buyer for my D2X. Todd, a good seller on the Xs. Who didn't Todd make salivate at least once the last 2 months or so with all his sweet sales!

Then, I am really in a buying and selling mood, my thoughts about the 200-400 were there, almost went extended to get a new one, said no, not smart, cannot do, cannot do! So, I pulled back. I pulled WAY back on 5100.00, for once I demonstrated LL restraint, and said no.

Then I saw someone talking about having a 200-400, having back issues, and not really being able to get full benefit from it. My mind started working that what if, I offered up my 200VR on trade, he gets a more compact lens, even if still a hulk like thing, maybe easier for him to handle, but I get the big gun back, and maybe can get a 180 or something as it's called a poor man's 200 by some here. Ok, so we talk, and before I can say Nikromat, 2 hours later, Scott and I traded, but to even the trade, my 70-200 wound up wedged in there! Oh God what have I done I thought... But I have learned, do not be afraid to trade good equipment, let it go... Something like, if you love it, let it go. Scott and I seemed so much alike through this trade, by the time we hung up, we were about completing each other's sentences on lenses, great conversations. :)

But then I relaxed and said you know, it will be ok. I want the 200-400, I can find alternate solutions for 200mm and even 70-200mm for now, I mean I got a barely used 18-200VR, I got a 70-180 micro that can double as telephoto, for cripes sake, do it!!! Frankly a focal length I rarely use anyway. So, we traded. UPS goes, ca-ching ca-ching! I wipe away a tear for each pristine lens, ok, that's to melodramatic for gear. :tongue:

Now I see a 135 2.0DC for sale, oh gosh, I wanted one a long time ago, my prior good seller Ruben has, and I think you know, this will backfill the middle telephoto range for me fairly nicely, so I nailed it. Hey, I don't have to save for a 200-400VR now, so I can spare the 700 and change.

I had a D80 for sale, because I had to many cameras, couldn't seem to move it, was tired of bu-buu bumping, so I offered it up for trade. Next, what do you think happened? Well, first attempted one trade, that stalled from a good guy no fault of his own. But as I secured the 200-400, that trade made less sense anyway, so?

Suddenly, I am offered a Cadillac DeVille for the D80! I'm kidding! But a sweet 105 2.0DC was offered by one of the Cafe's own, and BAM, I got back what I lost to get the 28 1.4!!! I'm waiting on a 200VR and 70-200VR to fall in my lap to complete the dream. haha I wish...

I threw in the MC-36 from Kim since I can't seem to keep up with MC-30s, those dang things disappear on me all the time.

I am now in LL recovery until the next CC cycle, and I balance my books. I was literally exausted from this process. Come on BROWN and Fed EX.

But to truly conclude this short story. I want to say what a remarkable experience all this trading has been here at the Cafe, some of which was above board, and some of which truly was just business among friends. In the end, we were all friends, as things worked almost as if part of a symphony, yes, even Brown and Fed Ex played a part, with great drivers going the extra mile for delivery-

Never be afraid of change. Sometimes, even change undoes itself in the end and leaves you better off than you were originally! Just let it work! Something else I said recently, you know, it's not the glass that's important in the end, or what the kit is, what it costs, or how many lenses you have. It's how does this work for me today to do what I need to do. Is it creating lasting memories for me? Is it creating art? Whatever your expectations, that's what you want, the rest are just tools, road maps if you will on how to get there. I hope you find your map as I have, with other great traders/buyers/sellers here at the cafe. I do really feel safer doing business here, than out in the open market.

2. Great story and love that last paragraph. So true.

3. Good for you Doug!! Great read and you finally have the kit you were after...for now!! :tongue:

BTW, I am almost there and I am over the fear of keeping prime lenses that spend too much time in my bag and not enough time on my camera. :biggrin:

4. I'm showing this post to my wife right now as proof that I don't have it soooo bad after all!!! Thanks Doug!!! :biggrin:

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    :370: I hear you can use cameras and lenses to take pictures too! :370:

:Wink: & :smile:

ps, offered in humor Doug. I know that you do take pictures, and fine ones at that! The 28 should compliment your Appalachian scenery quite well, especially wide open early in the morning.

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

wow! ..that post just stressed me out ..lol
    ...good on u pal
    ;-))

7. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Me too...

So... what did you end up with? :confused:

8. TVayos

TVayos Guest

Thanks. Really good post.

9. So, the message here for me is...let some stuff go? :eek:

Maybe one day I will sell something. That is my problem: buy, buy, buy...never sell or trade!:biggrin:

Doug, I am glad you shared your experiances. There are some really great people here!

10. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    LOL all, sorry to have stressed some of you out. Imagine my stress. ;)

What did I end up with?

28 1.4D, 200-400VR, 105 2.0DC, 135 2.0DC, everything else I had, except my 200VR and 70-200VR are gone. The 105 2.0DC is just a different version. Geno got his original back, lol.

So, my total setup is:

D2Xs, D2X, D200
    10.5mm, 12-24mm, 17-35, 17-55, 18-200VR, 28-70 28mm, 85mm 1.4, 85mm 2.8PC, 105VR, 105 2.0DC, 135 2.0DC, 70-180 micro, 200-400VR, 1.4TC and a 18-70 kit lens.

Some of these things will stick hard now. Others could be fluid in the future. The 17-35, 28mm, 70-180 micro, 200-400VR stick real hard now. From there, I'll just have to see what the future holds. :)

11. Nice post, Doug.

I've been wrestling with the idea of selling my 70-200. I probably haven't taken 200 shots with it since I bought it from Woody about a year ago. It's a fabulous lens, but I don't really use it. My problem is that I wouldn't have anything between 70 and 300mm focal lengths. So, as much as your post seems to make perfect sense, I'm just going to have to stay put with my kit for a while.:rolleyes:

12. Guest-002

Guest-002 Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Fear not

This site makes for a very friendly, low risk and inexpensive way to try out used quality glass. Fair market value is established, buy with expectation that the seller is reputable, sell at minimal loss if it's time to move on.

The major risk is that you decide to keep too many :eek:

13. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    I have been doing alot of trading lately too. traded a D50 and F5 for a D80, then traded the D80 for a D200. now im moving a sigma to get a nikon. might even sell all my lens and end up with 17-55 and 80-200. for the main stuff then work on specialy lens. still have yet to play with a 10.5 or a DC lens. :)

14. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    thanks Mark, Radu, Matt. Well Mark, if you ever do decide to let that 70-200 go, maybe I will be in the market. I DO love the lens. But it's not irrelplacable, thus it was tradable. I'm a lot like you that I haven't really used it enough to justify it, and having other options to try, I can make up my mind about it.

Ironically, I did shoot a shot 2 weeks ago with it shooting a couple in front of a waterfall. Go figure. ;)

Doug

15. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

good point Rad ...needed to raise some doe so sold my tok 12-24 (miss it a lot) figuring i could raise the most doe selling that one. was something i think i just needed to do as well (an excercise in futility perhaps but i really needed to do something to tame this lens lust) . however, it was one of my favorite lenses too and here-in lies the delima -> they're ALL my FAVORITE lenses and i can't stand parting with any of them:eek:

but, then again i can always pick up another one and as u pointed out our losses are minimal. in my case with the tokina all said and done i lost about $120. i had it about a year, so really -> a cheap rental fee on brand new glass. i thoroughly enjoyed the lens and was able to pass on the joy to someone else ata discount, so -> WIN WIN for all ......:Smoking:

16. :eek: I'm exhausted... or as Austin Powers would say, I'm spent.

17. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Nute, I know you've had to realize what your real priorities are. It puts photography in it's perspective. I hope your daughter is doing well.

I do know about being spent Anthony!!!

18. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i tell u what wears me out at times ...trying to figure out what lens to use. sometimes i know just what lens i want to use and other times, urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, drives me batty ..lol
    ;-))

19. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

amen to that Doug...she's enjoying a rather nice and well deserved "rest" period/break right now (thanks to 1 unit of fresh blood July 3rd, my my whata diff that made) but unfortunetly goes in for more nazi/chemo treatments on the 25th...i'm severely thankful for each moment i have with her and I'm begging God for the very best outcome!

thanks for asking, and thanks for the prayers
    bless
    :smile: