Change Keyboard Region Type

I just installed Windows 10 my old MacPro and all went very well … typing message on MS Edge right now!

Problem is that I can't function anymore with the UK Keyboard Layout and wonder how I can change only the keyboard to US while keeping UK settings for everything else.
I remember where I first moved out here, how within 2 weeks I gotten a UK keyboard shipped out to me as I couldn't work with US ones that are standard here. I obviously later gave in and learnt the US keyboard and now can't use the UK one anymore.

Also, whenever I try to insert text in the middle of a sentence, it seems to overwrite instead of insert. I vaguely remember there was a way to switch this but that's going back to Win 95 and totally forgotten how to do this!

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
How to switch keyboard type in Win 10
https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-t...yboard-layout-language-in-windows-10-3661624/

Regarding inserting text you don't say which program you are running when typing, as it depends on the program. Most programs nowadays only insert. Some of the old ones toggled it using a press of the Insert key (which is missing from the Mac keyboard but I'm sure there is a way to type it - the Ins key is located where the fn key is on the Mac).
Of course you will overtype if you have already selected some text.

PS. In Microsoft Word you toggle between insert and overtype by clicking on the word Insert or Overtype which you will see at the bottom of the window a few inches from the left corner.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks.

Managed to sort out the Insert thing (the "0" Key works as insert when Numlock is off) and Numlock (the "Clear" key works as Numlock).

No luck so far on the keyboard type. Not getting US Qwerty as an option .. Only "US - DVORAK" which doesn't sound right. I might just reinstall from scratch.

Thanks again.

Will take a look at things when I boot back into Windows sometime tomorrow.

Don't want to install US English as a language as it tends to come with baggage like defaulting stuff to the "letter" paper size and the inverted date format but this might be unavoidable to get the keyboard although a bit strange that it offers me the Dvorak version.

Just looked again on the Mac side and see I actually have a "English GB" setup. Physically, the keys are aligned with the English US one. Only difference of note is that SHIFT + 3 gives me the "£" Symbol.

The Mac has another one called "English GB (PC)" where the keys are really different (you get a preview of the layout) and seems this is what I now have on the Windows side and is the old UK version I remember and used to prefer but can no longer manage with.

I think I saw an option to choose the US Keyboard layout when installing but I was a bit on auto pilot and just accepted all the UK defaults that came up.

Seems Apple might have essentially created a "English GB (Mac)" layout which is close to the English US layout. I have gotten used to this over the years particularly as it basically matches the English (US) layouts I have interacted with on PC.

I might give the Canadian layout, which appears as an option for me in Windows, and which seems more like what I want from the Mac Preview, a shot first.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
No if you install US keyboard but keep English UK as your main regional format, Windows should not default to "letter" size if you set it as English UK.

(BTW you can also have both keyboards available, and shift between them by pressing the ALT key and hold it down then pressing the left Shift key. (There would be an indicator on the bottom right side of the tray showing you what keyboard you are using) As an example of the usefulness is that I have English (US) as default and can switch to Swedish so I can access the unique Swedish characters å Å, ä Ä and ö Ö (i know where they are on the US keyboard)

Go to settings and click on Time and language, set regional format to English (UK), and keyboard to English (US)
1587769729403.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Sorted.

Sure the suggested way would have worked and been easier, but I still did the re installation as I wanted to change some other things as well and like to have things set up "cleanly" from setup ... including not having any stuff that is not required.

I now have this and this only:
Capture01.JPG

However, preferred and only keyboard is US Qwerty:
Capture02.JPG

The last time I setup a Windows Installation from scratch was in October 2002. A lot has obviously changed with time but back then, I have nightmares of having en-US around always coming back to bite you in the behind in terms of sticky defaults when installing other software down the line.

Anyway, over with that now and need to search for various posts on Anti Malware Recommendations which I have seen in passing.

Not something I have paid much attention to for the past few years so need to brush up. I do know about Malwarebytes and Defender and will search those terms first.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Glad you got that sorted.
Windows Defender is built in to Win 10 and works well as an anti-virus. I use it.
Malwarebytes (free) is great for doing full scans now and again and it picks up minor annoyances like PUPs which Defender doesn't care about. It does NOT replace Defender and it leaves Defender working.
(Some products disable Defender and then threaten you if you don't keep paying.)
No need to pay for anything.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
BTW, a little background on the language switching feature in Windows. Some of you might recall that I was working as Director of International Windows Marketing at Microsoft before I retired. The ability to switch languages is a feature I asked development for and we worked long and hard to get it to work well, I think Windows 2000 was where it was first implemented, not sure if Windows 98 Second edition had it already, I seem to think we had it working then, but I don't quite remember. The main large customer for this was the European Union (all official documents have to be translated for all EU Languages), the translators had to be able to switch keyboard languages and write, view and print in all EU languages

This was part of a bigger plan that came into fruition with Windows XP (a.k.a Windows 6 at the time)
There were a number of problems with localisation and support for local character sets before year 2000.
  • To compile and test a localized version for example Swedish cost well over 1 million USD, and when it came to Asian versions with complex glyph sets (for example, Chinese, Korean and Japanese) it cost a LOT more than that!
  • Windows 9x. didn't support Unicode, so you couldn't write, read and print any of the worlds character sets om every local windows version. For example if you wanted to view website/edit in Japanese, you had to use the Japanese version.
  • If you where a corporation with thousands of desktops, you had to roll out all different versions of localized windows versions with each having individual service packs, a logistical night mare.
The solutions of this all came in Windows 6 (Windows XP), but parts where implemented in earlier versions.
  • Windows XP had a no compile localization (language resources in DLL's) and Unicode so you could for example on an english version load the Japanese display language resources and IME (Input Method Editor, the tool used to "type" complex glyph's in the "Far East").
  • There are now hundreds of languages you can download and use for free (Gaelic and Sami for example and the costs to localize have gone down dramatically). Now local organizations translate Windows and add them to the growing list at much lower costs.
  • The corporate versions of Windows can now support multiple display languages, so when you log in anywhere you will get your desktop and apps in your language, if local resources are needed then they are downloaded automatically.
  • There was only one service pack that supported all languages (This has evolved to with Windows 10 of course every day can be a patch day)
  • And you can have the regional setting you want even if you are not in that country, English UK with English US keyboard as the example in this thread.
Just a few recollections from an old Windows guy....

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom