Change of Attitude [UV portrait]

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by nfoto, Nov 1, 2005.

1. nfoto

nfoto Guest

If you ever wonder whether sunblockers are effective, ask your model to put some on and do a portrait using UV light. The effect is really striking and might well change your attitude :biggrin:

Nikon D70, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens with Hoya U-360 filter

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. nfoto

nfoto Guest

She was using a factor 10 lotion. At least that's what the label on the bottle read. I'm no expert in these matters, but did the shot mainly as a quick illustration for my workshop to show we can record "invisible" light and what meets the eye not necessarily is the entire "truth".

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. How interesting Bjorn, amazing actually. Thanks for sharing this tidbit.

6. Joseph S. Wisniewski

Joseph S. Wisniewski

Aug 11, 2005
    That's actually very high. Remember, it's a clear filter (the sunblock) over a reflecting surface (the skin). So the effectivenes of the filter is greatly increased. If 10% of UV gets through and is reflected by the skin, that UV has to make another trip through the sunblock to get to the camera. So, 1% of UV ( 10% of the origional 10%) gets back to the camera. The skin "sees" SPF 10. The camera sees SPF 100.

I like that split image look. I often do that "for real", print one print with visible, one print with IR, and cut them up and paste them together....

7. Hi Bjorn,

I am bit confused with the photo. I do understand what you achieved with the sunblock. But i am confused with how you shot it. When i look at the sharp lines of the sunblock parts. then i ask myself did she wear the sunblock or was it on a sort of glass.

I am confused because of the ear part. I looked at it yesterday and had the feeling so i thought maybe somebody will ask or explain how it was shot. I hope you understand what i try to ask. Or is it maybe my LCD screen i use here that is confusing me that it got lost on the left side of the head where i get a straight line on the top of her ear that would imply that she wears on the top of her ear also sunblocking.

It really is amazing how this photo captures my eye and confuses my mind. And very cool effect by using some sunblock cream and a UV filter to make art. You are true artist Bjorn allways amazing to see your work very inspiring.

Greetings,
    Vince

8. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I did shoot two pictures, one with and another without UV blocker. They are mounted together here. Since this was an informal shot and I didn't clamp (!) the model's head, slight deviations in outlines may be expected. I did this as a quick and dirty shot for my workshop students, just to show them that UV is different from visible.

I have on other occasions "written" messages using sun lotion on bodies for UV photography, but this isn't easy to get perfect because I cannot see the result before the picture is taken, and getting unwanted lotion off a model without traces being detectable by UV is well-nigh impossible.

9. Thanks for your explanation Bjorn. Now i understand.

Greetings,
    Vince

10. Joseph S. Wisniewski

Joseph S. Wisniewski

Aug 11, 2005
    I have, on occasion, painted pictures or symbols on women using sunblock, so that they could lay in the sun and have the images become "negatives" as they tanned (or burnt).

My way sounds like more fun ;)

11. I'm kind of an idiot, but, what I'm getting out of this image (besides the artisitc imagery of course) is that sunblock *does* in fact work? I'm correct in that am I not?

At any rate - interesting image.

12. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Bjorn.

I really appreciate most of your abstract macro work but this image just doesn't work. The stratification between dark and light seems a bit crude at best. What did you see here? What was your intent?

13. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Should be fairly obvious, considering the title given. But it you don't like the image that's fair enough. I don't mind.

14. Bigpixel read first what Bjorn wrote before you don't like the photo. It was not put here to ask for oh look at my perfect photo. It is about what can be achieved with sunblocker for a workshop.

Greetings,
    Vince

15. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Bjorn and Vince,

You're right. I didn't read the original copy correctly. For the record, I think Bjorn is a brilliant conceptual photographer. I thought this was some sort of CS experiment in composition. Now I know better!

16. No problem. Just put on some sunblocker and put a UV filter on your camera and post a picture of yourself so we have good laugh and we are friends again. HeHe without the joke. I had more problem with Bjorn his photo in the beginning because i was confused about the straight lines in it. And Bjorn explained that how the photo(s) where made and blended together. I still like the effect of what sunblocker does when you shoot with UV.

Maybe i go try it out sometime but my first priority is to get the IR filters if they can deliver me quickly. And try out some IR photography with the D70.

Greetings,
    Vince