Change of scenery

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by RayGuselli, Dec 2, 2005.

1. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi

Took a shot of a boat....boring:frown:

Had some fun!!!:biggrin:

Hope you like

Ray

original

[​IMG]

Having fun

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Actually the original is not bad in itself :>)))
    Commented on reworked on other forum :>)))

3. it is nice to have some fun, but honestly I didnt like the result very much. the original was the better. Keep on having fun though.

Pål

4. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Ray,
    I like the original as a starting point -- an image that is basically good, but which needs a little help. However, I think you had too much fun:smile: . From top to bottom:
    1. The sky is a little extreme, but maybe workable.
    2. The background mountain seems out of place -- not the right mountain for the rest of the scene.
    3. The grassy interlude with the suggestion of a stream amidst the trees works for me, but the interface between the meadow and foreground water is indistinct -- looks like mist in a scene that shouldn't have mist.
    4. I like continuing water around the side of the canoe, especially with the rocky bottom showing. However, the light direction seems inconsistent with the lighting of the canoe. The large rock close to the canoe is distracting, partly because of the light in that area and partly because that doesn't make it look like a good place to beach the canoe.
    I guess I'm looking for something closer to reality. But then, reality is probably not what you had in mind.:biggrin:

5. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Bob

Thanks for the comments Bob.

I know what you mean re the water and grass meeting - I can sort that out.

Can also rework the sky.

The mountains....mmm, I thohg thtye worked ok because I have replaced all of the original with them...but, I take your point.

I suppose I tend not to go for reality with something like this on the basis that once you have developed a shot this far, it is unreal and I tend to apply some licence to my ideas. Sometimes they work and sometimes not.

It is interesting to see the diffeent feedback within different Forums and sites and from which, as a relative newbie I hope to learn from.

I am grateful for your advice and will have a go at changing ths issues you raise.

Very best wishes

Ray

6. Ray....this is just too cool....your talent and imagination are amazing..:biggrin:

Some folks are just not going to like this style, however....I love it..keep it coming...:cool:

7. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Hi Ray -- I had to go over to the other forum to see what others thought. I also had to try out the suggestion of lining the grass/water interface. That didn't work well for me, but masking that area and darkening slightly worked wonders. Not only did it create a distinct boundary, but it brought out (suggested) reflections of the hills and mountain. The one thing that still bugs me is the light -- the trees and foreground rock seem to be lit from the right, whereas the shadow of the canoe is also on the right. There doesn't seem to be enough detail in the canoe shadow area to simply lighten it -- you'd probably have to either clone in or substitute.

8. While I think what you did was interesting and a test of your PS skills, I prefer the original with a little touch up. Here is my version.

9. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Thanks Gordon

The rework you have done of the original sure lifts that picture....many thanks.

I am takin gon board the points raised bu others to try to deal with some of the issues in my processing.

I know you prefer the original but will post my amendments later just to see the changes.

Best wishes

Ray

10. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Reworked

Hi

Taken on board most comments here and in another forum and have come up with the following.

Lightened sky
    Created a definite edge to the grass/water
    Made trees lighter on RH side
    removed the large rock - considered a distraction and affecting the lighting perspective
    Created waves/ripples in water to rear of boat
    Removed some of the sky reflection from the rear of the boat as felt too strong.

Hope it still works or hopefully better?

All the best

Ray

[​IMG]

11. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Ray, that works for me -- question is whether or not you like it. I hadn't thought about making the trees a little lighter, but that helps too. I wasn't sure how to handle that rock until I studied your solution (simple enough -- just throw a little water and gravel over it:wink: )

12. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Bob

I am more than glad to receive help and 9/10 times I follow it (if I can understand or do it)

For me this was an exercise or an experiment and with which I am really happy because of what I have learn't from others.

I am a relative newbie to this (started last December) so less than a year at it now but there seems to be so much to understand and learn......

Anyway, it still works for me; if less dramatic.

The maoin thing is what others have helped me understand through passing on their tips and advice so once again....many thanks

Very best wishes

Ray

13. You have such an imagination, Ray! I like what you ended up with. :smile:

14. Ray...I like what you did with the picture. It reminds me of Utah in the US where you have snow capped mountains in the distance and hot weather in the other direction. So reality it is.

15. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Melissa

Hi Melissa,

Just to say thanks and nice to hear from you.

Been so busy at work - must find time to drop you an e mail and catch up again.

Very best wishes

Ray

16. You have done a great job Ray. Thanks for sharing your talent.

17. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Gordon, I like what you have done with the original.

Ray, you have done it again. What you created is a great picture. This and the original (or Gordon's version) are really two completely different pictures which share a little in common - mostly just the boat.

I have one very small comment about the "new" one. In the sky the clouds look pink and in the water their reflection is gold. is that possible?

Regards

18. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Thanks John

Just to say thanks again for the kind words (for both of us I am sure)

Funnily enough, the pink in the sky is the same image as in the water. I did have a more pink reflection but on the advice of others in the forums, reduced the refelction - that is how it ended up John.

I actually reduced the opacity of the reflection and that was the result.

I may bring that pink out again - I think it needs it and I am glad you picked it up - it confirms my thoughts.

Very best wishes

Ray