Changes for the Nikon Cafe

I've a question on how to go to first message in a thread from the "new posts" view. The links always point to the first unread message and this is very frustating if you want to read an older thread from the beginning.

Right under the thread title is the members name that started the thread and the date the thread was started... The date the thread
started is a link, click on it and it will bring you to the first post... ;)

Real Name
Randy
Please, no "like" button or link. In my opinion "likes" are detrimental to a forum for the following reasons:

1) When a "like" link is available some people become "like hounds" and do whatever they can to receive them. For them it becomes a popularity contest. This results in nothing but clutter.

2) "Likes" detract from the back-and-forth banter that makes a healthy forum fun and interesting. Rather than a user responding with something meaningful it is too easy for them to simply click the link.

3) A "like" can be interpreted in various ways. Does it mean "I like this", "I agree with this" (similar to a "+1" post), or simply "I acknowledge this"? Anything that ambiguous is meaningless and only serves to inhibit, or at least dilute, active discussion.

That's my two cents and is worth about that much.

Click here if you agree --- <Like>

+1 and I Like It

god help us if we become like FacelessBook or even worse tweeties

everything is good here

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Directly below the thread title, is the time and date the thread was created. Just click on that info and you will be taken to Post #1......

Real Name
Mike
I've a question on how to go to first message in a thread from the "new posts" view. The links always point to the first unread message and this is very frustating if you want to read an older thread from the beginning.
This is the nature of XenForo and cannot be changed (as far as I know).

Interesting, when I click on a thread title in the New Posts screen, I go to the first post... the blue dot next to the thread title takes me to the first unread...

Kees, there is an easy solution (how to get to the first post in a thread, reliably) as long as you've done a 'New Posts' or similar search first, which results in a list of thread titles displayed :)

In the results of that search you'll see the threads, under the thread title immediately to the rift of the OP author, you'll see a date (which is actually a link) - click on the date, and voila! You get to the first post of that thread.

If the word description didn't work for you, come back here and ask again, and I'll do a screen grab or two as a demo, OK?

ETA: Ooops, I've just noted that William gave the same answer - thank you William!

If you think the Like button discourages commenting, then you should disable the mouseover preview feature as well. I used to right click-> open in new tab each thread title that looks interesting but now I just hover at the link and read, and I became lazy to go in and comment.

Real Name
Randy
would someone tell me what the "like" button is?

it's a facebook nightmare.....literally a place to click on that says 'like' and then facebook displays the number of likes you got for a post or a pic.....
it is the most impersonal thing ever created.....and we thought 'nice pic' was bad, now you don't have to enter any words at all, just click like, maybe they need a 'dont like'

[end rant]

it's a facebook nightmare.....literally a place to click on that says 'like' and then facebook displays the number of likes you got for a post or a pic.....
it is the most impersonal thing ever created.....and we thought 'nice pic' was bad, now you don't have to enter any words at all, just click like, maybe they need a 'dont like'

[end rant]
Very cogently explained, Randy, and as you guessed, spot-on from our (NC) point of view - so I'll likely quote your post :)

I have not looked at this thread for a number of days, but I can’t believe the like button is still being discussed. There is just no liking the like button.

I haven’t logged in for a few days, but this morning it took three tries to log in. Kept getting the error message that I need to enable cookies before logging in. Even tho cookies are always enabled. Don’t know if that’s a forum issue or an issue with my internet provider, as it’s been spotty for a few days.

Also, when I just clicked on the reply button to post this, I got an error message that said.

The following error occurred:
Please enter a valid message.

I had to click on MontyDogs reply button, and remove the quote to be able to reply.

Wow .... didn't check in for a few days and my world has changed! Overall, I like it. It seems cleaner and responsive. Probably take me some time to learn the difference. I've run a fishing forum on VB with 65K members for the last 15 years. Glad to hear Mike has a test site ... that's really important to keeping the member experience smooth.

Real Name
Mike
I have not looked at this thread for a number of days, but I can’t believe the like button is still being discussed. There is just no liking the like button.

I haven’t logged in for a few days, but this morning it took three tries to log in. Kept getting the error message that I need to enable cookies before logging in. Even tho cookies are always enabled. Don’t know if that’s a forum issue or an issue with my internet provider, as it’s been spotty for a few days.

Also, when I just clicked on the reply button to post this, I got an error message that said.

The following error occurred:
Please enter a valid message.

I had to click on MontyDogs reply button, and remove the quote to be able to reply.
You didn't describe the order of events, but posting replies in XenForo is slightly different than vBulletin. To post a reply here, simply start typing in the text box at the bottom of the page and click "Post Reply" when finished. If "Post Reply" is clicked before any text is entered, as was the case with vBulletin, then XenForo will return the error you described. If you did type a reply and received the error message when you clicked "Post Reply", then there is a problem that we need to investigate.

I can't offer any help about the cookies.

You didn't describe the order of events, but posting replies in XenForo is slightly different than vBulletin. To post a reply here, simply start typing in the text box at the bottom of the page and click "Post Reply" when finished. If "Post Reply" is clicked before any text is entered, as was the case with vBulletin, then XenForo will return the error you described. If you did type a reply and received the error message when you clicked "Post Reply", then there is a problem that we need to investigate.

I can't offer any help about the cookies.

I found out after I posted that if I click on “More Options...” it takes me right to the advanced reply to box, which is what I prefer cause if I don’t preview before posting, I just end up editing my post a lot. I just have to remember to click on the correct box. I don’t remember ever seeing that error with vBulletin, and I belong to plenty of forums still using vBulletin.

As for the cookies, I got that error on another site just a few minutes ago, so it’s probably on my computer, tho it’s a new computer, or with my ISP which has been spotty for a few days.

Please, no "like" button or link. In my opinion "likes" are detrimental to a forum for the following reasons:

1) When a "like" link is available some people become "like hounds" and do whatever they can to receive them. For them it becomes a popularity contest. This results in nothing but clutter.

Probably in some cases, but the way to get a high Like count is to post a lot of good pictures. That's a good thing, and it encourages participation, also a good thing.

Well, like, I haven't been around for a while and like now I show up and like everything now seems different and like I think I like what I see but I am not yet sure as like I really have not looked too much yet like but I think I like that Mike and folks are keeping it going like so we can all still come here and leave like such cogent informational posts and like i want to thank Patrick and all us other old folks who like have been coming here for a long time now like Thanks Patrick, et al like, I really enjoy it and who the hecks needs a Like button anyway, like you know.

Whew ....

Now that THAT is out of my system .... :p

Latest threads

Top Bottom