1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Changes to site subscriptions

Discussion in 'Site Information, Help, and Feedback' started by Amin Sabet, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Administrator

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    As I alluded to in a recent discussion about possibly merging sites (which isn't going to happen) finances have gotten a little tight. This is the result of two things: GDPR regulations and Amazon shutting down their CPM ad program. Overall, ad revenue is down roughly 50% as a result of those two changes.

Several members on the different sites have recommended that I increase the subscription fees and change some of the "perks" reserved for subscribers. I decided to make some changes along those lines. Everything is up for discussion, so please feel free to add your input, especially on item #4 and #5 below. As a reminder, subscriptions will always be optional rather than required.

1) Subscription fees have been increased. This doesn't affect anyone who is currently on a recurring subscription. If you subscribed at $5 per year, that will be honored indefinitely or until you cancel through your PayPal account. For new subscriptions, the yearly rate is $10.

2) I've eliminated the affiliate patron usergroup. However, if you shop via our affiliate links for any order totaling over $300 and PM me with your order number, the total cost, and one of the items on your order, I'll make you a subscribing member. For purchases of $300-600, the upgrade will last 3 months; purchases of $600-1000 will last 6 months; purchases > $1000 will last 1 year.

3) The automatic EXIF info display in the forums is now a feature for subscribing members only.

For the two below, I haven't decided yet. Would appreciate member input.

4) I am considering limiting Buy & Sell listings to subscribing members. All members would be allowed to respond to listings, but only subscribing members would be able to make a new listing. In conjunction with that, I added the option to subscribe for 1 month for $5. Or if you wanted to make a listing without paying, you could subscribe via affiliate purchase (#2 above).

5) I've removed I'm considering removing the "disable ads" option in preferences for non-subscribing members. Of course I know that you can use an ad blocker.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  2. I am fine with all but 4. Even with 4 I only dislike it about 10%, so I guess I do favor it.
    I am thinking forums cost money, and people who enjoy them should put their $ where their mouth is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. I agree with your suggestions, they do make sense and are not too obtrusive.

With 4 you could set it up so that everyone can sell and buy BUT if they are not supporting the Forums through subscription it is automatically added to the transaction, on both sides.

4. Amin Sabet

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    I feel like that would be more obtrusive. I definitely don't want to put any fees on the buyer.

5. You are right it would be.
    Definitely a question of balance and compromise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Subscribed...here and mu-43. You are worth it!! :D 

7. Tough decisions. I suspect we would lose a significant number of members if you required subscription fees. This happened at Nikonians years ago. I also believe we would never gain new members as those fees are often a turn off for potential new members.

Our buy/sell forum is already very slow. I'm all for sellers being required to be paid members, but doubt this would generate much revenue.

8. Amin Sabet

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    I will never require subscription fees.

That's a very good point. I've removed #4.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I think all of these changes are reasonable.

Glenn

10. Subscribed to the site. I'm fine with everything you've mentioned Amin.

11. I've had too many problems with PayPal, so I won't use them. I would become a lifetime member if you would allow me to send you a personal check or use some other form of payment.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. I there a way to combine subscriptions? I'm on all 4 of the sites, 3 pretty much daily. Maybe $10 each and $25 combined?

13. Amin Sabet

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    Hi David, sorry I don't have a way to automate that at present and don't want to get into manual accounting.

14. Amin Sabet

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    Hi Mike, I can accept a check for any of the subscribing levels. Will PM you with details, thanks.

15. Got your PM and already put the check in the mail.

16. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    Interesting, you turned down my check payment request last year. I can also send one, but based on original fee levels.

17. Amin Sabet

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    Last year I declined this option to Mike as well, but I've since changed my mind.

18. Everything I've read makes sense to me. I'll keep subscribing.

19. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Apparently my subscription expired so I renewed. Are pending subscription expiration notices sent out?

20. daveg

daveg

Jul 14, 2008
    UK
    Does PayPal not allow you to make a Visa Payment?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.