Changes to site subscriptions

Had the Café not changed to give me the ability to upload directly from my computer I would have been long gone from here, or at least not an active member posting pictures.
At first i was a little disconcerted at the idea of uploading directly from my computer, but once I had done it a couple of times I realized the ease and convenience of it and continue to use this method rather than hot linking from my Zenfoliio account. Only problem with this is that now I'm seriously behind in getting things into Zenfolio and my galleries are a bit out of date! A project for this winter is to get back on track with that.

At first i was a little disconcerted at the idea of uploading directly from my computer, but once I had done it a couple of times I realized the ease and convenience of it and continue to use this method rather than hot linking from my Zenfoliio account. Only problem with this is that now I'm seriously behind in getting things into Zenfolio and my galleries are a bit out of date! A project for this winter is to get back on track with that.
I've never used and cloud or off-site storage, except for a brief foray in to Nikon's rather useless Image Space.

Back in the day, I started out with SmugMug and used that for setting up galleries and sharing my images, and then when Zenfolio came along, it seemed to have an easier interface and hotlinking setup so I switched over. I also still have images on PBase, too, but it was cumbersome for hotlinking and sharing images. Actually, a couple of times I have found it very convenient to have galleries on Zenfolio when I am thinking of a particular image and can't lay my hands on it right away without rummaging through older external drives. I can pop in to my gallery site and find the image and quickly download it to the computer. I also have some images on iCloud but comparatively few, and I don't store my important personal documents on any cloud site at all -- I'm leery of putting tax records or medical info into "the cloud." That kind of data remains right here with me on external drives.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Administrator
Real Name
Amin
This is a function I have to admit I don't understand. I don't see how automatically copying and posting my copyrighted images on a different server than I've placed them on is making them safer. It makes me nervous and is the reason I post far fewer images now.
It's not making them safer for you. It does accomplish a few things for the site:

1) They won't disappear from a thread here unless you want them to do so. A lot of members tell me that they like being able to make changes on Flickr, etc, without worrying about those images disappearing on the forum.

2) They prevent us from massive image loss in the event that a site like Photobucket or Flickr decide to make the kinds of changes they have decided to make.

3) It lets us resize and lightly compress images so they are smaller and thus page loading is faster for all members. There is no reason for some people to routinely hotlink images much greater than 1MB each on a forum, but lots of people do it.

4) It prevents a malicious poster from hotlinking images for the purpose of cookie stuffing exploits.

5) It prevents mixed content browser warnings from images hosted on non-https servers.

I can understand why some members don't like that we do this and that some will post fewer (or no) images here as a result. Everyone is free to make their own well informed decisions.

Last edited:

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Administrator
Real Name
Amin
I have the same issue, has my subscription expired and if so how do I know. Is there a notice sent out?
Hi Louis, your subscription auto renewed recently, and your PayPal was charged accordingly. But yesterday PayPal sent me a notice that you had disputed the charge, so I refunded your payment, which ended your subscription. Some sort of misunderstanding?

... we automatically copy hotlinked images from external hosting like Smugmug, Flickr, etc, and host them locally.
I did not know this. I thought that by hot-linking my photos from Smugmug I was saving the Cafe overhead.

I'll stop doing that if it's going to be hosted locally anyway. Should I downsize before uploading?

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Administrator
Real Name
Amin
I did not know this. I thought that by hot-linking my photos from Smugmug I was saving the Cafe overhead.

I'll stop doing that if it's going to be hosted locally anyway. Should I downsize before uploading?
There is no need to downsize since we automatically do that. If you want to control the downsizing process (which always involves a compromised between blur and sharpening), you can optionally downsize to 1600px before uploading.

Hi Louis, your subscription auto renewed recently, and your PayPal was charged accordingly. But yesterday PayPal sent me a notice that you had disputed the charge, so I refunded your payment, which ended your subscription. Some sort of misunderstanding?
Hi Amin, just saw your response sorry for all of the confusion. Should I just go ahead and sign up once again?
Louie

Amin - I noticed that the option of paying $5 every three months with a recurring renewal has been eliminated. This is an option I recommend that you continue to provide. Maybe it's too complicated from a bookkeeping perspective but it does double the yearly payment amount without being too onerous for those of us on a retirement budget.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Administrator
Real Name
Amin
Amin - I noticed that the option of paying $5 every three months with a recurring renewal has been eliminated. This is an option I recommend that you continue to provide. Maybe it's too complicated from a bookkeeping perspective but it does double the yearly payment amount without being too onerous for those of us on a retirement budget.
Hi John, that option should still be there. Is it not showing for you?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom