Changes to the Endangered Species Act?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jaysinnva, Aug 11, 2008.

1. jaysinnva

jaysinnva

Nov 1, 2007
    Virginia
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/08/11/bush.endangered.species.ap/index.html

Personally, I think this is ridiculous.

Basically, federal agencies would no longer have to consult with the Fish and Wildlife service or NMFS, and would determine themselves whether or not projects would jeopardize habitats or endangered species.

That's what they're there for!! This is just trouble waiting to happen, IMO. What do you all think?

2. I'm not saying anything because this thread will get political really fast! :wink:

3. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    The bald eagle is a pretty bird but I think it's more important that we can fill up our gas tanks. Besides, oil derricks are pretty subjects to take pictures of, too. :wink:

4. turtile

turtile

May 12, 2008
    Delaware
    Weakening? More like rendering it useless!

What do federal agencies know about endangered species? Do you really think they'll act against their own interests?

5. Less government, The feds will not be happy unless that control every aspect of our lives. They already dictate how much water you can use when you go to the head! Read the back of your tank and see. US Gov standards state 1.5 gals. The ESA was set up to stop progress and diminish private property rights. Just think what electricity, gas, heating oil and natural gas prices would be if the EPA, Drive By Media and Enviro Nuts would get out of the way and America could build refineries and nuke power plants it needs. You folks living up nouth get ready, heating oil and natural gas cost are going up do to government intrutions.

6. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Me either. No Sireee. I'm saying nothing. Zip. Nada. My lips are sealed. Mum's the word. Between you me and the gate post. Between these four walls...

:biggrin:

Now, where's my gun...

7. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

You can sue the federal dept. when they dredge the swamp and kill off the entire food chain. Wonderful - only the lawyers will survive :biggrin:
    And it's getting fasttracked so it goes through before the elections this year. So, it'll be a well thought out,properly debated law then - not.

8. while I have some real issues with the ESA, I think this shot at rending it impotent to be a really bad idea, along the lines of setting a fox to guard the henhouse.

Lawrence

9. kays

kays

Aug 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I'm not sure it is a great idea, either.

(flame suit on...)
    but then again, a lot of science is politicised today - including the "plight" of the polar bear. Global Warming has morphed into climate change. The climate change model has been tortured to produce inconclusive results, at best. The science is not "settled" as some scientists and politicians say in order to cut off discussions. There's plenty of evidence that the biggest greenhouse gas is, no not CO2, not methane, but water vapor.

The endangered species act has been used to prevent Califonia ranchers from making a fire line (pit-ring) to save property from wildfires because of the Kangaroo rat.

Is the CNN account complete - or a sound bite? Where does the truth lay? Is the Bush response reasonable in light of all the junk science floating around? Political Science, indeed!
    (flame suit off)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.