Changing heads nightmare...

Yesterday around 5pm I thought it'd be fun to photograph some flowers, swapped the lens on the D850 for the 105 and wanted to take my gimbal off the tripod and put the RRS head back on. This didn't go well, the gimbal had apparently welded itself to the tripod. The last memory I have - before I lost the ability to think in a rational manner - was pounding on it with a rubber mallet trying to loosen it. Mallet didn't help, but I did get a nasty metal sliver in my thumb, probably left over from when I re-threaded the cheap tripod spike feet I'd bought. This sliver hurt like hell. Went to the allen wrench/mallet approach and finally got it loose. At this point in time I'm willing to spend whatever it will take so I do not ever have to do this again. I'd wasted almost an hour of daylight fiddling with this thing, my flower photography plans were out the window, had a nasty metal sliver in my thumb and I recalled I'd seen a Steve Perry video on how to swap heads quickly. Pulled up the video (link is below), went to B&H and ordered the RRS parts in the video. My wife offered to remove the sliver after I'd had a couple small glasses of wine. It still hurt.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
(y) I use a plate on the bottom of both the gimbal and ball head, and a quick release clamp on the tripod. Problem solved! LOL! I learned this when researching gear for our first trip to Africa. Love it!

Karen, pretty sure that's what I have on order. Clamp goes on the tripod, some kind of dovetail plate for the bottom of the gimbal and RRS head. I kept thinking what if I needed to swap them while out and about taking photos...I couldn't have done it without tools, and I don't usually bring tools with me.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I does add a little weight to the set up. But the dang things (tripod, heads, lenses) are so heavy, I don't really notice a few more ounces!

there's a trick to remove a stuck Wimberly described on their website. (I know you use a lever, someday I'll add one). I also found if you push from lower and do a sudden push it comes loose
Tried that Randy, I couldn't get it off. Stuck a long allen wrench in the hole and tapped on it with the rubber mallet worked.

Karen, pretty sure that's what I have on order. Clamp goes on the tripod, some kind of dovetail plate for the bottom of the gimbal and RRS head. I kept thinking what if I needed to swap them while out and about taking photos...I couldn't have done it without tools, and I don't usually bring tools with me.
The Dovetail plate comes in two sizes. One fits the WH-200 perfectly and the other size is for heads like the BH-55.

This one fits the WH-200 and BH-40 …. Really Right StuffTH-DVTL-40 Round Dovetail Plate

This one fits the larger diameter heads like the BH-55... http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/TH-DVTL-55-Dovetail-Plate

The Dovetail plate comes in two sizes. One fits the WH-200 perfectly and the other size is for heads like the BH-55.

This one fits the WH-200 and BH-40 …. Really Right StuffTH-DVTL-40 Round Dovetail Plate

This one fits the larger diameter heads like the BH-55... Tripod Head Dovetail Plate
Thanks Roy, I’d ordered two of the 40 plates. Called B&H and they were able to change it, I need one round one and one of the 55 plates. You saved me some work, I really appreciate it.

Tried that Randy, I couldn't get it off. Stuck a long allen wrench in the hole and tapped on it with the rubber mallet worked.
I did not go to their site so maybe what I did is the same. I just put the tripod with stuck head in the freezer for an hour. The metals of the head and tripod were a bit different and contracted by different amounts. When I took the tripod out of the freezer the head easily came off.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Interesting....my DVTL-55 is the same "style" as the DVTL-40..... just a bit larger round shape but it fits the BH-55 perfectly. Wonder why RRS changed it?
The current 40 plate has a lip on the edge that will prohibit a BH-55 from sitting flat against the plate. It works on the WH-200 and BH-40 but not the BH-55.
From RRS site 40 specs... "Dovetail plate is not flat, but has thin perimeter lip. Accepts any round base whose diameter does not exceed 2.00 " / 50mm ."

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
The current 40 plate has a lip on the edge that will prohibit a BH-55 from sitting flat against the plate. It works on the WH-200 and BH-40 but not the BH-55.
From RRS site 40 specs... "Dovetail plate is not flat, but has thin perimeter lip. Accepts any round base whose diameter does not exceed 2.00 " / 50mm ."
That wasn't my point. I was simply pointing out that my DVTL-55 is a large round shape....and the current DVTL-55 is much more rectangular. MY round DVTL-55 also has a think perimeter lip.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom