Changing light, Antelope Canyon

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Ron Reznick, Jun 25, 2005.

1. I thought you folks might enjoy these... Mike Worley and I shot at Antelope Canyon after three days at Bryce (I was on my way home, and he was on his way to Zion). The weather started out completely overcast at 10:30 when we got there, but the sun broke though the clouds just in time to be able to fall through the narrow slot at the top of the canyon. This gave me an interesting opportunity to use several exposure techniques to get entirely different looks from this amazing location.

The first shot was taken while it was fully overcast outside, and the second when the sun just started peeking past openings in the clouds. I exposed to allow full use of the sensor (slightly overexposing the scene), as the dynamic range was fairly low due to the light. The third shot was taken when the sun was out and the shadows started getting stronger... and the last three shots were taken after the sun was fully out from behind the clouds and entering the narrow slot at the top of the canyon.

17mm, 1 sec. @ f/16
    [​IMG]
    17mm, 3 sec. @ f/16
    [​IMG]
    17mm, 3.6 sec. @ f/16
    [​IMG]
    19mm, 5 sec. @ f/16
    [​IMG]
    19mm, 6 sec. @ f/16
    [​IMG]
    19mm, 1/4 sec. @ f/16
    [​IMG]

Hope you enjoy these,

Ron

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Wow Ron!! Hey, good to see you here!

These shots are amazing. Even though this subject is 'shot to death' these pictures certainly do justice to them (I'd love to see big prints!)

I was thrilled by the peace portrayed by the first one, and that last one has me looking for spirits! Great job as usual Ron- I love these!

(PS: Mike, you lucky dog - if you come to our midsummer AZ luau, bring Ron! ;) )

3. My choice 4-6-2, #4 mainly because of the luminosity at the bottom that make the rock on each side look like faces.

4. The last one is definitely my favorite. Nice effect!

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Those are truly fantastic Ron.

I love each and every one of them. The mood and light is marvelous.

6. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    You make it look so easy.

Excellent as usual.

Have a great weekend.

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. Absolutely stunning Ron. Which lens?

9. Hi guys,

That last one seems to strike everyone...

The trick with that one was the timing and the length of the exposure. I had to fire just as the dust entered the sunbeam so it would be bright enough to use the shorter exposure time necessary to get the effect. Note that this shot was 1/4 sec. The dust bounced enough light to the walls to get away with that.

I also got several shots either just a hair too early or a bit late. Of course. :^)

BTW, I had to blast fine dust out of the grooves of my 17-35 and completely disassemble my tripod. That stuff was everywhere.

Paul, I've got several other studies of the walls shot at a vertical angle (without floor). It was difficult to pick just one for posting, but this one stood out to me for the same reasons you stated. I'll post a few others when I put a webpage up with shots from Bryce Cyn, Red Cyn and Antelope Cyn sometime in July. I'm going to be doing 16 hour days between 8AM today and July 6th (except for Monday), so it's probably going to be in the middle of the month sometime when I get a chance to completely rebuild the website (it's about time I did that).

It's been totally bonkers around here all year, and sometimes I haven't had time to wander around much... here or anywhere else. Things will be crazy until after I get back from Alaska in mid-August, and then I'll be processing like a madman. I really have to catch up with the last year and a half worth of shooting. I've got a ton of material that is just processed in bits and pieces because I've been using the time I would normally devote to processing to help out other folks.

Ron

10. Ron -

Thanks for finding a moment to post these. Antelope Canyon is one of my favorite places and I'm glad you had the chance to stop by there on your trip.

Having been through there myself, that last shot is my favorite. Really captures the feeling that I remember of the atmosphere in there. Was that natural, or did someone toss the sand in the air for you?

I've still got some sand in my tripod from my visit there over a year ago that I haven't been able to get out...

11. This stuff is insane.

Thanx for sharing.

_/oe

12. Awe-inspiring..... stunning pictures of a magical place. Beautiful to behold.

13. fjp

fjp

Mar 18, 2005
    Wow!!!

I can't think of anything else to say. I'm speechless with awe. They are all my favorites, except for maybe the last one, which is too harsh for me. But it's everyone else's favorite, so don't mind me.

14. Ron, everyone of those pictures are absolutely stunning. The last one is my favorite, but I like the first one also.

One of these days I hope to make it to one of your group sessions.

Thanks for sharing.

15. Great shots Ron. Are you back doing sessions?

16. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Thanks, Ron. I feel like I"m in the rock with you. Thanks and good to see you here,

Gaye

17. IxLr8

IxLr8 Guest

Ron, my wife saw the shots and want to go to Bryce now. I got home after the Saturday session and starting calling out luminosity measurments at everything I saw.... She think's i'm nutz now.

Paul

18. Hi guys,

Sorry about the delay... not only have I been radically busy, but I've also been fighting off a nasty chest cold that resembles walking pneumonia. Energy levels are a little low.

Hi Paul,

That is pretty typical :^) -- you'll be doing that for a little while, then it will become second nature and you'll become a walking light meter. You'll notice your exposures will become extremely consistent and nearly always within that target range of 1/3 stop.

Hi Gaye!

That's sort of what I was after with these shots. Many people overexpose the scenes in Antelope Cyn and yield colors in the highlights that aren't there along with an overall feel that isn't really like the place. Of course, there is nothing really wrong with creating a surreal look, but for this, my first time there, I wanted to try to capture what I was seeing.

Nice to 'see' you too!

Harris, I've been doing one-on-one sessions, but the trip to Bryce and Antelope Cyns was just shooting with some friends (plus a visit to my Mom and brother) along with a little vacation with my wife.

I'm pleased you liked them, Don. Hopefully we can get together sometime...

FJP, it's hard to hold everything in the scene when the actual dynamic range is 12 stops... the camera can only record 8 of those, so what you do is decide what you're willing to give up. I figured that the burnout spot was OK to lose as it was fully saturated to the eye as well.

Thanks, Sandy. You'll have to try to get there sometime, if you're ever in Northern AZ or Southern UT.

Hiya Joe! What's new?

David, that particular shot was part of an experiment... what I did was take shots just as the sand was tossed, just before, and after it had started to settle. The latter yielded this result.

I've still got some sand in mine too... I may have to try wiping inside the locking rings.

Ron