Chaos and order

Discussion in 'People' started by Chris101, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    [​IMG]

C&C por favor.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I knew I needed a new hair do.....:>)))))))))

Thats some image Chris.

I don't know how to C&C this.
    Good catch. Great expressions.

3. Good one Chris. I don't know where the order comes in but the chaos is apparent. Your use of selective focus does draw your eye to the main subject (blond) and I like her/his placement in the image. Your composition is near perfect making for an image that begs you to stick around and look. I like it.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I couldn't tell.

Thanks Gordon and Gale!

5. I like it. And so far as I know, it takes a lot of ordered effort to display such chaos. :biggrin:

I like the light. It seems to me it represents the sort of light I would experience in a club?

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    It's at our monthly freak, ... I mean art show.

7. Provocative. Looks like it could be part of a series for a magazine or exhibit.

8. Wonderful selective focus and color, Chris. Makes me feel FUNky...Is that really ISO 3200?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

9. Those are a couple of real winners there Chris...lol

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Virginia! Yes it really is iso 3200, and while I did not use any noise reduction software, I did process it in such a way as to minimise the contrast of the noise. I increased the color contrast instead of sharpening and I put a blurred layer over it all in overlay mode, with a radius of 250. That smooths things out, without showing any blur. Here's a 100% crop before any processing so you can see the colorful, grainy noise:

http://homepage.mac.com/cheilman1/images/photos/101/artgallery/120205/chaoscloseup.jpg

I'm tellin' ya Melissa - this event really brings 'em out! It's kind of fun trying to put a context to the picture. The title comes from my (sick and twisted) imaginary scenario... :Tongue:

Thanks Muril!! This actually is part of a series - I've been photographing First Friday's for about two years now, and I had an exhibition of my photos from the event at last September's First Friday.

I'm not gonna quit photographing the event though because it's the best source of un-ordinary people I can find in Phoenix. If you know any magazines that would want to pick it up, send 'em my way!!

11. Holy cow, Chris, I can't believe how well the original cleaned up!

" I put a blurred layer over it all in overlay mode, with a radius of 250. That smooths things out, without showing any blur."

I have to remember this and try it sometime! Yahoo to you!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

12. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I was debating whether to put this here, or in the retouch forum. I've been experimenting with this procedure for a while now. I derived it from a page I read once about glamor blurring.

Another thing I do to repress noise is special processing for e^r (expose to the right) exposure, which involves curving the Raw image. I rarely did this prior to ACR 3, because only Jpeg with custom curving, and Nikon Capture gave access to the linear gamma curve. But now I often use a curve that does not rise above the diagonal line in the upper half of the curve.

This means that, with enough exposure, a curve can get all of it's contrast enhancement by depressing the lower range, rather than pumping up the highlights, (as most curves, including the normal curves that are built into cameras, do.)

One artifact this process imparts is a heavy 'atmospheric' effect, as it does in this picture. Sometimes that works, and sometimes it just flattens everything out.

13. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;