Character & Lens Technology

There's a certain character to the renderings of vintage Nikkor lenses like the 85/1.4. I doubt the designers be able to retain its signature when they update this venerable lens with Nano-coatings, AF-S, and VR. So count me out when they pass the signup list for the new version. I'll keep shooting the old Cream Machine until one of us gives up the ghost.

These samples were from last weekend's wedding.

603329659_uqLfu-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

603336453_9h6AL-XL.jpg

603335747_QBnrj-XL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LSSE

very nice. the nano coat, AF-S, and vr won't actually change the bokeh obviously but I know what you're getting at. Hopefuly they can retain the optical formula design.

Thanks for the generous comments, Bob, Yu, and Randy!

very nice. the nano coat, AF-S, and vr won't actually change the bokeh obviously but I know what you're getting at. Hopefuly they can retain the optical formula design.

From what I've seen of the updated versions of the 35, 50, and 105, Nikon either can't retain the the vintage signature or they have no interest in doing so. I have personal experience, having upgraded my 60 micro recently. The 60AF-S is a better lens than the AF version, but it's at the expense of a certain richness in rendering imho.

Sure, I've got modern lenses like the 60 AF-s, 28-70 and 70-300vr. They're great, but at the same time, they give me a greater appreciation for the "look" of my 35/2, 85/1.4, and 180/2.8.

From what I've seen of the updated versions of the 35, 50, and 105, Nikon either can't retain the the vintage signature or they have no interest in doing so. I have personal experience, having upgraded my 60 micro recently. The 60AF-S is a better lens than the AF version, but it's at the expense of a certain richness in rendering imho.

I agree. The only (recently produced) lens that I've seen that has that special quality is the Sigma 50 1.4. It seems as if Siggy stole Nikon's "secret formula" - at least for that lens.

L

LSSE

I think the changes to the optical formulas are more of a result of people's and reviewers obsession with so called 100% "crops". the designers are just responding to give people what they want. Unfortunately it comes as a result of losing less quantitative measurements like character and feel.

I know what you mean. I for one often love "natural", lens induced vignetting and lens flare. Of course it shouldn't be too crazy and all pictures are not the same, but I often wish I could turn on those "unwanted features". :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom