Charles Manson Lookalike?

Discussion in 'People' started by Ottrott's Human, May 3, 2007.

1. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Nah....just my lifelong friend Mark. We were best men in each others weddings. I met him 23 years ago and we have been in numerous bands together. As we've gotten older, had kids and gotten real jobs we've kind of drifted apart. He stoppd by my guitar shop a couple of days ago for a visit while he was passing through town. I think the 105vr captured him well.

483209760_629b7444a9_o.

2. Nothing like a nice portrait of a dear friend. Very nice Stuart!

3. I bet there are stories to be told....

4. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice portrait, Stuart. He doesn't look like Manson to me, but maybe it's because I think your friend has very kind eyes. He looks like he has a very gentle soul.

5. Cool story,cooler photo..How will we ever decide what lens to use?

6. fyreflie24

fyreflie24

Jun 24, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    looks like you got hooked onto the colordodge eye trick! Awesome as always Stuart! I love the character in his face.

PS Hi Eric! I haven't forgotten you!

7. Beautiful shot, Stu...bet you have some stories to tell...LOL...

8. Seth

Seth

Jun 6, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Great shot, Stuart!

Can either of you elaborate on this technique/trick? I love the way it turns out and would love to be able to give it a shot sometime.

9. Very nice shot Stuart, I hope he will get a copy of this.

10. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Nice shot Stuart. I love the lighting - just enough shadow on the right side of his face to add drama. I'll bet you guys have some great "remember that gig" stories.

11. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Whats the ColorDodge Eye Trick? I love tricks :biggrin:

12. fyreflie24

fyreflie24

Jun 24, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    Be careful with this because it can be over done VERY easily!

Select the iris of both eyes. Right click on the selection and choose 'layer via copy'. Select this new iris layer and change the blending mode to color dodge. At this point, I take my eraser and clean up the selection (which is usually glowing white or red on the overflow areas...). I'll use a 50% eraser around the perimeter ring of the iris. Then decrease the blending mode to around 20%. Sometimes I'll throw a little extra color to this layer (like with blue eyes, just a smidgen) or give it a bit of extra sharpening... I just goof with it.

So that's it!

13. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Thanks!

14. I think he looks more like Sam Elliot (Kurt Russel's older brother in my favorite movie Tombstone) than Mansion.... don't think I'd want to be compared to him...:eek:

15. Nice shot Stu!

I'm with Brian, Sam Elliot and a bit of Alice Cooper mixed in.

16. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    True.....and thank you Frits! I would have used my new 105 Ai-S, but Mark is too animated to hold still that long!:smile:

LOL....yeah....a few, but nothing too outrageous!

Leigh.....actually.....you couldn't be more correct.

I just grab whatever is handiest!:wink:

I love that technique and do use it occasionaly, but Mark's eyes are a brilliant blue and didn't need any dodging this time around.
    Thanks DM!

He was always the wild one.....not me!:wink: Thanks John.

Thanks Seth. See Donamarie's post for the ColorDodge technique.

Yep....I emailed him a web sized version before posting here and will order an 8X10 for his wife. Thanks Gordon!

Thank you Fred. I took this one in the middle of my store so the lighting is just from overheads and the front window bank. I bumped contrast +15 in CS3 to add a touch more drama.

Hmm....I'm sure he'd take that as a compliment. Great movie..."I'm your huckleberry"! Val Kilmer was incredible in that flick.

Thanks Peter....okay, okay...I retract the comparison to CM!:biggrin:

17. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Good! The only bits of similarity are his hair and beard, and even those look better on your friend. Generally similarity comes when the eyes match, and I dare say, very few people have Chuck Manson's eyes. (But the title does catch ya. :Wink: )

Excellent portrait Stuart!

18. Very nice, Stuart. Mark comes across as a good guy and a pretty straight shooter in this shot. Not Manson-like at all :wink:

19. Agreed 100% his best movie ever...

"I have two guns... one for each of you!" :Guns:

20. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

not even close to a manson look alike ...he looks more like what's his name from the eagles (i think lol)...;-)

btw, an old pal of mine isa gaurd at Folsom Prison..he tells me Manson is still "pure evil". why they locked up that mad dog i'll never understand:frown: