1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Charlotte - Deconstruction

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by ftslogger, May 12, 2007.

1. ftslogger

ftslogger

May 4, 2007
    Charlotte
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These series of pictures are from the buildings that are being demolished or abandoned, due to our new light rail construction. It is costing the City of Charlotte (and tax payers) tons of cash, and businesses are forced to find new dwellings. If there is interest, I will post more.

MP

2. Nice photos! Sad to see historic buildings giving way to new construction, though.... Charlotte, NC?

3. ftslogger

ftslogger

May 4, 2007
    Charlotte
    Yes, indeed. Charlotte, NC. Thanks for your comments. :smile:

4. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Nice shots....sad indeed. Hey, I have an idea, lets form a corporation and see if we can get taxpayer money to fund a photography business venture. If the citizens vote it down, we can get the city council to go ahead and fund us anyway....you know, like they do with all of the rich Basketball owners...

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2007
  5. Hey Josh as you know I am new to Charlotte and am not really up to speed on the political scene but I do know transportation sucks big time. It seem seem to me money spent on improving mass transit would be a good thing? There is a price for progress. Very sad to see those old buildings demolished for sure but I also know I don't like sitting on 485 for an hour to go two exits or Providence Rd where it can take 20 minutes to travel a half mile sometimes..

6. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Its not the idea of mass transit....its the waste of money and poor planning surrounding it.

http://www.charlottelightrail.com/

7. ftslogger

ftslogger

May 4, 2007
    Charlotte
    Whoa - Didn't mean to stir a political debate. :-P

Hey Josh, did you know you took a picture of my wife at the Girl Scouts Gala at the Speedway?

I'll post more from this series.

8. ftslogger

ftslogger

May 4, 2007
    Charlotte
    Different shoot - same location - before the building was torn down. These are larger resolutions....

[​IMG]

HDR - 3 Exposures blended.

[​IMG]

Black and white, HDR.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Not a political debate at all. I said that I had no idea about the politics of teh situation. i am just glad something eventually will be done to fix eh horrible transportation issue of Charlotte. Josh informed me that there has been tons of waste involved in the process.I liek these next set of images...

10. ftslogger

ftslogger

May 4, 2007
    Charlotte
    There is plenty of waste. I still can't get over the amount of trash and crap that gets put in my own front yard!

It seems like Charlotte likes to tear down what is "old" and replace it with something new and shiny. Case and point, look at all the old bungalow houses in Dilworth that are getting torn down, and being replaced with 3,500 - 5,000 sq/ft houses on those lots. Investors are paying a premium for those lots just to tear down and rebuild.

Charlotte does things backwards, me thinks. I am a native, and have seen it all.

11. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Really? Wow! Thats funny...who was your wife? The daughter of another forum member was sort of in charge of the event. He asked me to come along and help him shoot the event.

12. ftslogger

ftslogger

May 4, 2007
    Charlotte
    Josh,
    If you look at Randy's site, you will find this. - http://www.carolina-sportsphotography.com/gallery/2792927#151009769,

This is the picture of my wife and one of her Girl Scouts. I have been in touch with Randy, and I think I will be shooting with him sometime in the near future, soon as he recovers. We should have a CLT meet and greet.

13. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Wow...it's a small world... Yeah a few of get together often for interesting shoots. We go to Daniel Stowe alot, the raptor center, the lake...sporting events, you name it...

Looking forward to meeting you.

14. Taag1

Taag1 Guest

Nice shots. I like #6 of second post. The B & W of the building skeleton with the stairway is very interesting.

15. ftslogger

ftslogger

May 4, 2007
    Charlotte
    That building skeleton was quite cool. It sat right next to a busy autobell, and there is no cover, everyone can see if you are there or not. A few days later, I saw kids jumping on the roof of the adjacent building, and of course, grafatti started to show up too - not long after - you have the rubble. Its intresting to see the progression of an empty building that is very accessible to the public.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.