Chasing Dragonflies, GBHs, and a Pigeon.

Discussion in 'Birds' started by JayR, Sep 8, 2005.

1. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    Here are a few snaps from Juanita Park today.

I went chasing dragonflies and these are REALLY tough to get in flight. I tried for about 1/2 hr before I saw that they seem to fly the same pattern repeatedly. They would hover in a place for a second, then fly away and come back to the same spot. I got these 2 pictures. Nothing great but considering the difficulty these flies put me through, I thought I would post them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some GBHs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a Pigeon.

[​IMG]

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice ones Jay. I was tempted several times today to go for the dragonflies, but I resisted. The danged birds just sat around. :rolleyes:

3. Cool shots of the dragon, you didnt pic an easy target, nicely done!! Welcome to the cafe' !!

4. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    I appreciate the comments.

The dragonfly was a tough one. I couldn't track one long enough in the viewfinder to focus on it. These 2 were the only shots I got and I tried for almost an hour.

I included the pigeon snap because I have never seen a pigeon in Juanita Park. Infact I was talking to one of the regulars at the park and he mentioned the same thing.

Now I think I need a longer lens instead of composing through crops using my 70-200mm. I might think about buying a used 300 f4 AFS & a TC14EII. I am coming down with LLD :smile: PLease HELP.....

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    OK Jay, I'll help....

Have you seen the shots that Harris (Backdoctor) and others have gotten from the 300 f4 + 1.4 TC? What an excellent combo. :Devil: :biggrin:

6. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    Yes. It is the shots posted on the cafe using the combo that triggered my lust. That and mouting my D70 on Bill Dewey's Sigma 500mm+1.4 tele to capture some pictures of a little green heron got me infected.

I think my diagnosis is that I "need" the 300/1.4 combo and "want" the 500/1.4 combo. I know I have got it bad as I am justifying an expensive purchase with a more expensive option. Well...maybe this is a discussion for the Lens Lust forum but I can already forecast the outcome. Unless...someone might offer a better cost effective alternative.

Regards,

7. D2Xcrazy

D2Xcrazy

Aug 23, 2005
    Wonderful shots. I am going to try to get a flying dragonfly also. Very difficult.

8. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    Thank you.

Chasing dragonflies is a lot of fun (and frustration :smile:) BUT gettting even a single shot that is in focus is rewarding. Atleast in my case with limited experience.

9. Great shots Jay. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of a dragonfly in flight.