Critique Chateau Leoville Barton -- TAKE 2

My first photo of this bottle is displayed at https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/wine-spectators-1-wine-of-their-top-100-wines-of-2019.319886/ . We discussed in that thread that the bottle was lacking the appearance of three-dimensional shape. That's mostly because I had decided not to add a reflection to the bottle out of my belief at the time that doing so would make a bottle with such a large label appear too busy. After reviewing photos I had made of other bottles with large labels, I decided I was wrong about that.

So, the primary changes in this revised photo are the added reflection on the right side of the bottle and the use of fabric that was wrapped around the base of the bottle. Another less important change is that the gold crest on the label is now lit to display a gradient (whereas the first photo was lit to display that crest mostly only in bright tones). Those three changes make the image appear far more three-dimensional to me. Your thoughts?

Setup
The background is green and brown mottled art paper and the tabletop is black fabric. The reflection on the right side of the bottle above the label was created by a small continuous-light lamp on that side of the scene shining through a diffusion panel. That light also lit most of the right half of the scene. The left half of the scene was lit by another small lamp on the left partly flagged by white poster board. That poster board also reflected light onto the left half of the scene. The reflection below the label was cloned from the reflection above it during post-processing.

Mike 2020-01-05--004-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
I'm having a tough time with this one--not sure which I prefer. Probably will be very happy with either image. Certainly after we drain the bottle.
I found the original image to be clean and accessible; this one less so, but more intriguing.
Either way, well done, Mike.

Best to go between the cork and the neck with an appropriate gauge needle. I've done it once to prove a point. It's actually quite easy.
Back in the day when I worked at a wine store, we had a customer who was an environmental chemist. He and his team collected air from old bottles of wine all over the world, using that technique. They were looking at air pollutants.

Latest threads

Top Bottom