Cheap camera - direct to print

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GaryW, Jun 12, 2005.

1. GaryW

GaryW Guest

My wife is looking for a digital camera for her dad for Father's Day. One that he could directly attach to a small printer and produce a print - no computer involved.

I believe I have heard of such a thing, but couldn't find it in a search. I am hoping to find something reeeeeeaaaaal cheap. He doesn't need great quality. Just something to take pictures of his cows and tractor.

Anybody know of such a beast?

Thanks.

2. Hi, Gary. Just look for a camera with 'PictBridge'. I think most camera have this direct-print function now. I have the Canon C-330 printer which can link to PictBridge cameras via the USB cable. It's very portable and easy to operate.

3. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
  4. GaryW

GaryW Guest

Thanks, Larry and Phil.

Pictbridge was the magic word that I did not know.
    Larry, thanks for the link. I immediately went to page 7 (cheapest) to find the desired camera. Now, I'm off to find a 4x6 pictbridge printer.

Thanks again.

5. Gary, Kodak have some kits camera and printer included.

6. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
  7. GaryW

GaryW Guest

Alain and Cory,

I looked at the Kodak combo, and it appears it is $349.

I found an Olympus D-425 for $124 and a Lexmark P315 printer for $44 ($94 - $50 rebate).

In the case of my father-in-law, the *fewer* features, the better.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gary,

I gotta go with Kodak on this. And kodak color is great.

Just gave a friend my Kodak DC4800..Color out of the box, auto settings.. Teriffic.

Check e-bay. Lots of kodaks for sale.

9. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    No problem...just wanted to give you a little info.

;)

C

10. I think Canon makes the best P&S in this price range (I used Nikon for 10 years but always used a Canon digital P&S). Canon Digic II gives impressive skin tones out of the box and their 4x6 printers capture the color well in output. I've seen Kodak and I'm not nearly as impressed - particularly their cameras which are solidly behind Canon in image processing for P&S. There's certainly good reason why Kodak has struggled to compete in the digital age.

11. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    I really like the Kodak EasyShare system. Very simple. Press a single button to print. The print quaility is outstanding - the printer is a dye-sub printer which will give you fade resistent, waterproof prints that look like traditional photos, and no messing with inks stuff like that.

I'm very pleased with the output of my daughter's 2mp Kodak digicam - colors fairly accurate and vivid, and the images are pretty sharp. I've tested many different digicams before buying that one for her, and out of all the budget digicams, the Kodak peformed the best. And hey, for 99 USD, how can you go wrong?

It can also take a real beating, and still work without a hitch. I still have it and it works almost perfectly (top dial is a bit stiff, but works fine):

[​IMG]

I think the simplicity, quality and cost make it an outstanding value overall. There's a reason Kodak is the #1 seller of digial cameas.

Here's a sample (my daughter took the pic when she was 2 yo):

12. GaryW

GaryW Guest

Thanks everybody. I bought an Olympus D-425 ($149) and a Canon IP3000 printer ($79.99).

I know everybody was trying to help me with quality vs. cost, but I was just looking for cost. Before having my wife take it to her dad's farm, we tested a couple of pictures. Looked just fine.

Thanks for all the help.

Gary

13. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    Gary,

I think you did well with the Canon printer over the Lexmark.

C