Cheap Cloud Services: my experience

I pay an enhanced annual fee for Google Drive but have found their new connectivity to Google Photos to be inscrutable.

They say drive and photos are no longer linked (or is it sync'ed?). Choosing 'high quality' photos will upload .nef's and keep the named .nef's but looks like they are really .jpgs with .nef extensions.

Of course the 'high quality' category is OK, but it is not-as-shot quality, that option counts differently towards your space usage.

Trying to manage the google drive with the required 'back-up-and-sync' software drives me nuts, especially with checking cloud disk size not being updated until as long as 24 hrs later, and managing the file deletions on local vs. hard disk. Delete a bunch of stuff then wait a day to see how much got free'd up.

Looks like dropbox will be a better choice for me, since it makes sense for what I am able to understand about disks and files.

The reason for this post: I've found a cheap software program that makes life good again. Makes the cloud/s easy to understand. Mount them and use them as local disks. Seamlessly uses my usual file backup and sync batch files and utilities.

I have MSoft Onedrive, Amazon drive/photos, dropbox, and google drive. All can be mounted at once and all file move-arounds and deletions are perfectly normal and understandable between each other and local disk drives.

Google this for more info: "Air Live Drive".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
long term and short term backups: documents and photos mostly, lots of misc (like computer as-builts and overclock bios settings, patent research/defense, wife's business database...)

Looks to me like some of these services are designed for cell phone users to save their photo/videos automatically, without any effort.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I can understand it more for having data available from multiple locations.
But not for backups, I just can't trust cloud services. It is different if you are a business with a proper contract, promises of how they do backups themselves and so on. But if they lose your data there is no comeback.
I prefer to control all my backups myself.

What do you use these cloud services for, why do you need them?
I pay a small fee to OneDrive for a TB of storage. Then I can upload images to folders on OneDrive and provide my friends with links so they can view and download them. If I didn't have the cloud storage service, I wouldn't be able to easily share my photos. It's really just an inexpensive way to share my images with my friends.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom