Cheap fast lens ??

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by stamp22, Sep 19, 2008.

1. stamp22

stamp22

Mar 15, 2008
    Los Angeles
  2. It's a good lens for the price but IMHO it's far, far from a Beast (which is obviously a ton more money).

I'm going to assume that "cheap" means under $300 given you mentioned a $220 lens. Otherwise the candidates include the Tamron 17-50/2.8, Nikon 85/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8, etc. I'm not going to list the old manual focus lenses, making the possibly incorrect assumption that you only want AF.

Quite a few in this forum like the old Nikon 35-70/2.8 which used to be found used for under $300 but has climbed up a bit.

Other relatively cheaper fast lenses: Nikon 35/2 can usually be found used for ~$220. Used, old Sigma/Quantaray 24mm f/2.8 is about $100-$150 but it is hard to find a sample that focuses accurately.

3. I like the 24-60 quite a bit, enough to keep it over the 35-70. Image quality between the two was very similar, I preferred the handling of the Sigma (esp. the non-rotating front element). For the price, it is pretty hard to beat, as a fast zoom. I'm sure it's no Nikkor 24-70, but it also isn't $1700.

The 35 F2 and 85 F1.8 are also great, but affordable lenses. The former has a nice near-macro capability, and the latter is the sharpest lens I've owned.

4. itsmike

itsmike

Mar 2, 2008
    Greenlawn NY

why is this?? I saw one here for Over $400 used??? Are they scarce?

5. The 35-70/2.8 was still available new with the Nikon warranty for about $460 until early this year, so that helped keep used prices from going too high. Now that B&H no longer sells new ones, that lets the used value float up a bit.

Add to it the excellent photos posted by owners here. Ken Rockwell also posted enthusiastically about it and, like him or not, that tends to generate interest and sales (the new ones at B&H finally ran out a couple of months after his article on it -- dunno if that's just a coincidence or not).

It's a pro-quality build lens (though with an older design) with excellent optics. A used 28-70/2.8 is usually $925 to $1,000 here.

KEH sells "BGN" condition ones (which are often very good) for the low $300's. Was $275-ish earlier this year.

6. itsmike

itsmike

Mar 2, 2008
    Greenlawn NY
    Is KEH Reputable? I have never purchased from them before...

7. There's plenty of feedback on them here and on other forums. The feedback is usually very positive. They often underrate the condition of their lenses. They have a good return policy. They are probably the most reputable seller of used equipment in the U.S.

They also sell new equipment, but are probably better known for their used gear.

The main drawback to them is that their used prices aren't rock-bottom -- a trade-off for their usually high quality. I wouldn't hesitate to buy used equipment from them.

8. 35-70 f/2.8 and tamron 28-75 f/2.8 are awesome lenses for the price. i havent tried tammy on my d200, but when i had it on my 30d it was amazing lens

9. I'm pretty happy with that lens - I haven't used the 18-135 much since I got it

It's definitely a cheap and good way to get into the f2.8 arena

I used it shoot some volleyball last week and it certainly helped with the dark gym

10. I'm going to suggest the following besides the 50mm 1.8. The Nikon 35mm 2.0, 50mm 1.4. For more money but still cheap for what you get, the Nikon 85mm 1.8. You can also look at 2 Sigmas the 30mm 1.4 and the 50mm 1.4. Theses are $400-500 but it's reasonably priced for the performance.
    There are no free lunches so if you want some of the others lenses that were mentioned besides my choices you are going to have to increase you budget.

I used my Nikon 85mm 1.8 last night at my kids soccer game. Got some good handheld shots that stopped action at ISO 1600 and 3200 on my D300.

My next 2 lenses will be the Nikon 35mm 2.0 and one of the 50mm 1.4's.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2008