Cheap FX lenses

Ive finally made the jump to FX but it wasnt cheap!! but the low light performance of the D600 is exactly what ive been wanting which is why I decided to go for the camera before the glass. Ive just ordered a 28-80mm and ive already got my 50mm prime so im not stuck and Ill be slowly switching my DX lenses for FX but in the mean time im wondering if people can name any really cheap FX lenses to help get my collection growing. (auto focus only, I have a range of manual focus ones already) :)

3rd party stuff from sigma and others is popular.

if you rather stick with OEM Nikkors, look into the f/1.8 primes. I find them a lot more affordable than the f/1.4 series and you're not giving up that much for the money.

the 55 micros are wonderful, if you don't mind focusing
they'll definitely give you the detail the D600's capable of

I have been using my 28-105 AF-D on my D600, and it really sings. It is my go-to lens for wildflower hikes as it is quite light and has a useful macro mode. Thom Hogan has hinted that he thinks it has a special synergism with the D600 (and promises to elucidate more later).

They can be had for about $150.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the 28-105 all the time on DX and FX and it is very good and as Jim indicated, it has normal and Macro mode.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I definitely love the 1.8 primes, im toying with replacing the 35mm but its quite useable on fx (small amount of vingetting, which is open to each persons opinion!). I was eyeing up the 28-105, the only reason I opted for the 28-80 was because I picked it up on ebay with an old camera, case, and macro lens attachement for less than £30 but I think ill add some 28-105`s to my watch list :)

Im definitley not fussy about going non nikon, I have a tamron already and love it so ill check out the sigmas.

What would people recommend for a good wide angle lens for shooting landscapes?

I used the (old) push-pull 35-70 f/2.8D with great results before getting the 24-70 - used (the only way they come now) up to $400 for a "like new" one.

For what purpose? What range? And what do you consider cheap?

I could say 28-105. I could say 70-300 VR. I could say 180mm f/2.8. I could say 24-85 AFS, or 24-85 AFD, or 24-85 AFS VR, or Nikon 28mm f/1.8. You get the point.

It all depends on your use and budget, which you haven't stated other than "auto focus only," and "cheap."

Another vote for the 28-105. I have had one for more than 20 yrs and it was on my shelf for years after I began acquiring the newer 2.8 zoom trilogy.

Was traveling in the desert and needed a lightweight lens to throw on my D700 (rather than dragging my D3 with 28-70 and/or 70-200). I was blown away by the results. You can buy one today for less than $200 and it is a steal.

Here are a few that I like, taken with that 28-105 on a D700. I have posted these before, but they might help the OP decide.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for the examples those images are great!. I think I'm convinced by the 28-105 now :)

When I say cheap I'm talking about less than £200.

28-105, from 2008 on a D200:

Last edited by a moderator:
35-70/2.8D (or non-D) is as good optically as some primes. Really nice lens to have, and very convenient for everyday use.
28-105D - very nice lens, probably one of the best low-cost Nikon zooms.

Also, try out 70-210/4-5.6. There are two versions - D and non-D, that are exactly the same optically and mechanically, but the D version, besides D-functionality, focuses significantly faster (2 times faster from infinity to MDF or vice versa). Optically this lens is just terrific, especially considering the price - you can find one for 60$ easily on ebay (non-D version), and if you don't like it, you can sell it for as much or use it as a paperweight (which I honestly doubt) :)

Also, I picked up a nice Quantaray branded Sigma 50/2.8d macro latelly for about 100$ - and I was very much surprised with the IQ it offered.

Cheap, but decent FX lenses - is something I like about Nikon. Canon has a few inexpensive nice lenses also, but not nearly as many as Nikon. Also, older film era Sigmas seem to work just fine on Nikon, while Canons have compatibility issues, allowing to use them only wide open.

The Tamron 28-75 is excellent. It's 95% as good as the Nikon 24-70 and a LOT smaller and lighter. It's the rough equivalent of the 17-50 in size, weight, and performance.

If you don't mind manually focusing, try the 35/2, 105 2.5, and the excellent 75-150 Series E.

I'm going on vacation in a couple months and I will be taking only the lenses I mentioned plus the (manual) Nikon 20/4.

What would people recommend for a good wide angle lens for shooting landscapes?
If you need ultra cheap, get the Tokina 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5. I've had good luck with this old lens on the D600. It is available under a variety of names, including Vivitar and Cosina.

If you have a little more to spend on a wide angle, try the Tamron 17-25mm f/2.8-4. I'm using that now, and it seems to be pretty good.

On primes, get the 28/50/85 f/1.8G combo - you won't be disappointed.

The Tamron 28-75 is excellent. It's 95% as good as the Nikon 24-70 and a LOT smaller and lighter. It's the rough equivalent of the 17-50 in size, weight, and performance.

I'm looking to add one to my lens collection soon. A friend of mine got the old Tokina 28-75mm f/2.6-2.8 Series I (Angelux) recently, and that thing is great on the D600. I'm hoping that the Tamron is a good, so I'm going to get on and compare them.

Tamron 20-40/2.7-3.5 is also a real gem. Very sharp (if you get a good copy), f/2.8 at 24mm, and f/3 at 30mm, nice boke. Prone to flare though, looses contrast qiuckly in hard lighting conditions, but otherwise looks better to me than the more recent (and also very decent) Tamron 19-35 and well regarded 17-35/2.8-4.0.

Thanks all, plenty to look at here. I'll definitely be changing my primes, the 35mm works on FX but with some vignetting and in DX mode it's similar to the 50mm so I'll be looking to trade that one in. I'm also eyeing up the samyang 85mm 1.4 instead of the Nikon version, I'm reading good things and for the price it looks like a good buy.

I think I'll be changing the tamron too, I need a 2.8 zoom for low light stuff so I'll be trading that in for something similar in FX, maybe the 28-75 that's been mentioned.

I doubt I'll be buying any manual focus lenses. I don't have an issue with them its just I've got some Carl zeiss M42 primes that I "borrowed" from my dad which work quite well so I've got plenty to play with there :)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom