1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Cheapest way to setup portraits lighting

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by kiskaprince, Aug 10, 2008.

1. kiskaprince

kiskaprince

Mar 30, 2008
    canada
    Hello guys.
    I have in need for advice what would be best way to setup small studio for portraits?
    I have 2 sb-800 and su-800
    i was thinking about buying some studio lights but have no idea what to buy.
    Also my budget is very limited.
    I am looking for something not very expensive but still getting me good lighting for portraits.
    My budget is around 300-400$.
    Thank you again.

2. Check out strobist at: http://strobist.blogspot.com/

They know how to to do cheap and good! I think adding a couple of softboxes/umbrellas to your set up is what you need.

3. kiskaprince

kiskaprince

Mar 30, 2008
    canada
    Thank you.
    Damn that was quickest response ever.

4. Traditional studio lights have more power than speedlights, but your sb800s will do just fine for a small studio, and, should you choose, will give you the advantage of portability. You already have the key components with the speedlights and su800 commander. The rest of the stuff you'll need is inexpensive. Add some umbrellas and stands, and you'll be good to go. We've had good reports on ths Smith-Victor Umbrella Kit offered by BH Photo for $113. That's all you really need.

Cool. You have enough money left over to buy a background support system, and a nice muslin backdrop :biggrin:.

There are dozens of ways to arrange the lights, but here's an example.

89459532.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2008
  5. kiskaprince

kiskaprince

Mar 30, 2008
    canada
    This very helpful.
    Thank you so much

6. acolo63

acolo63

Aug 11, 2008
    Santa Cruz, CA
    If you had a third light, would you add to background or maybe hair light?
    Thanks

7. ibcj

ibcj

Dec 19, 2006
    New York
    I'd also recommend spending some time on the Strobist blog. There is a great deal of information there and a dvd set if you would rather watch it than read about it.

8. Yes, I used my third flash for a background, hair, or kicker light.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.