Cheapy lens people shots.

Discussion in 'People' started by regit, Oct 1, 2005.

1. regit

regit

Jan 31, 2005
    This has to be the worst condition lens I have. This $40 Summar is twice my age, uncoated, got haze and has cleaning marks that rival any heavily used ice-skating ring... Contrast is low and it flares alot... I call it character :) ... Lens is soft wide open and the optical defects are not helping it much when stop down... I call it a non-technical lens :) Hey, we all have to make do with what we have... don't we? :)

original.
    original.
    original.

2. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi Regit,

That last pic (of the girl with the candy floss) is saying "hey mista, why dont you get a betta lens" !

This lens sounds like a tough customer - you did well to get these.

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Regit,
    I should do so good with an expensive top of the line Nikkor :>))))))

Great images , I like them alot.

Keep posting.. Good to see ya around a bit more.

5. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Very nice...

6. regit

regit

Jan 31, 2005
    Thank you for dropping by and providing all the comments :)

Paul, this lens is considered to be one of the least corrected Leitz lens and due to the soft front element, it is common to badly scratched it; and when it is scratched up, it soften the image and it flares badly (compounded by the fact that it is not coated and haze easily). Nonetheless, combined them together, you got a "old-world" lens that can provide B&W portraits with some interesting characters (and muted-look in colours). Wide open, it is soft and can give a little halo to the image ... people who like this effect call it the elusive "glow".

I'm just trying out this lens to see if these "glow" :) Incidentally, I had one with almost perfect glasses but returned it because it there is not enough damage to the glasses :)

7. JimTech

JimTech Guest

Very nice,

I like your response to the lense question. I think sometimes that is the exact effect to go for with B/W. I liked the pictures, their mood and the character they captured is very good. Now if my brain would see pictures like this so I could capture them in the camera. :eek: