Check Out The Color! - Collared Lizards

I recently learned of yet another population of these lizards less than an hour's drive from the house. So, my wife joined me for the 20-30 minute hike from the parking area to see if we could find them. I had some equipment difficulties (tripod fittings and plates have all been checked now), but I managed to come away with a few keepers.

1. Male
p507821136-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Another male
p21747553-5.jpg

3. Same as #2, but allowed a head shot
p166408009-5.jpg

Nice shots, esp. that last closeup! That color, shows that population must be doing very well...

Thanks, Shaun. Every individual we found the other day looked great from a color standpoint. One female looked a little thin. But, she may have recently laid eggs because there was plenty of food insects and other lizards. I just photographed a female from a more local population that isn't nearly as colorful. Will post a couple soon.

It makes one wonder why these lizards are so colorful! Certainly it doesn't benefit them when it comes to a predator seeing them (no camoflage). I suppose the same could be said of brightly colored birds, but many lizards and snakes are much more cryptic in color.

It makes one wonder why these lizards are so colorful! Certainly it doesn't benefit them when it comes to a predator seeing them (no camoflage). I suppose the same could be said of brightly colored birds, but many lizards and snakes are much more cryptic in color.

Steve, I believe the color is meant to show. Many reptiles see different wavelengths from what we see. I'm not sure we know exactly what they are seeing. But, this is a territorial species and males would probably like their territory to be known to other males and prospective females. As a rule they are most colorful during the breeding season and more drab the rest of the year. I am not sure how frequently they are taken by snakes or bird species. I know in Missouri, humans are their worst predators.
Beautiful!

Thank you, Mike.

Thanks, Shaun. Every individual we found the other day looked great from a color standpoint. One female looked a little thin. But, she may have recently laid eggs because there was plenty of food insects and other lizards. I just photographed a female from a more local population that isn't nearly as colorful. Will post a couple soon.

When I bred my leopards, I was shocked at how thing my females would appear right after a lay, when I was new to it... I thought something was wrong and upped their intake, vitamins, etc... but soon realized it was normal, really was more of a perception problem that I had... I was used to seeing them gravid. They always bounced back very quickly...

amazing detail and color! Nicely done too!

Thanks, Dianne.

I'm not particularly fond of lizards but I must say, these are really pretty! Gorgeous colors! You did a very nice job of shooting them, especially in that last closeup.

Thanks a lot, Connie. Having worked with herps for 30 years, I'm kind of partial to lizards.

Wonderful stuff, Aaron. First image is my favourite but they are all very nicely done.

Thank you, Gaylon.

Spectacular lizard! I love all three shots, and #3 is my fav!
Thanks, Dossy. I have found more individuals of this species so far this year than the last 3 years combined.

Beautiful shots! If you had not said that they were wild, I would have sworn that they were in a tank.
Thank you, Chad. Although I do breed reptiles, I seldom photograph my captives. (I do not keep anything native to Missouri) Strange. I don't mind driving hours and walking miles to photograph in the wild. But, I'm too lazy to make a little set for my captives at home.:biggrin:

Latest threads

Top Bottom