Check out this SI photographer's set up

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by nipprdog, Jul 4, 2007.

1. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Spent the weekend in Michigan for the Red Bud Motocross National (hopefully, I'll be able to post some pics later today). but anyway, SI was covering the weekends events. I'm guessing it was because of Ricky Carmichael, I'll find out when the story is printed.

I've never seen anything like this.

DSC_1545pW.

DSC_1548pW.

twin big-body Canons with 70-200 IS lenses, three flash wizards.

he told me that the cameras fire simultaneously. what is the purpose of this set up? is it back up? in case one camera malfunctions, the other one gets the shot.

your thoughts?

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Good catch Jim, I have seen this done before, but not with identical gear set-ups. I could understand something wide and something tight, but having identical set-ups is something that I don't quite understand.

3. If he were shooting Nikon he'd need only one! LOL

4. Stereo? LOL

5. 1 for each eye like a pair of binoculars.

6. 1FASTZ

1FASTZ

Jan 25, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    What the...

7. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Well, first I am glad to see he is having the same issue regarding the lens hood on a 70-200 f2.8. Maybe I need to duct tape mine on as well :(

Just when I thought I looked geeky on the field with my gear. I'm going to print this one out and keep it with me at all times.

I have heard of developing a 3-d Effect by having the cameras set apart as he has here....I wonder if there is some DOF trick being applied to develop some unique 3-D effect?

8. Just a guess, but perhaps he has each one zoomed differently?

Thanks for the photos, very interesting!

9. Doesn't that kind of take the need for a photographer out of the equation? You could set this up and remotely fire from the luxury of a air conditioned control vehicle.:biggrin:

10. Isn't it obvious? He's going to make some 3D pictures for SI. Pass out the red and blue glasses!!!:biggrin:

11. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    If they fire intermittently he could double the FPS of one body.

12. Actually if they are lined up right and AF to the same distance you could paste 2 pictures together much like a panoramic, and get huge amounts of detail in a wide format pic (Magazine layout perhaps?)

If that is the case then it would be emulating a longer focal length lens (Because you could zoom in more WHILE being closer to the subject. So if your distance AWAY from the subject was limited, you could emulate one.

Not sure why you wouldn't just buy a bigger lens, but its obviously worth it to him to set it up like that

13. My thoughts exactly. With all that gear, it should be possible to put a .1s delay into the signal path somewhere between the two...which would effectively change 5fps into 10fps.

14. Cool shot..
    Hey Ty,.. that looks like your mono-pod you had in Chicago?? Manfroto?

15. Looks like a parallax problem. :tongue:

16. Maybe he's an Engineer with too much time on his hands. :confused:

17. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

"The" David Bailey ? I thought you shot with Olympus cameras ?

18. sbutchin

sbutchin

Mar 1, 2005
    NJ
    Actually I've seen this setup used for wide shots - the photographers who shot my son's school band used the same set up - i'm sure someone here can give us the hows and whys of the setup

19. Cheaper than buying an X-pan?

If I was right in the earlier post its an easy way of stitching 2 images together to create a much higher megapixel photo (aka more detail/ easily blown up) With 2 remotes set to trigger at the same time, It can be a pretty easy way of getting a wide angle shot without all that extra height space / DOF of a wider angle lens.

20. My guess is increased dynamic range. One camera exposed for the sky the other for the rider. Blend them together for a HDR shot without to much hassle.

Just a guess :biggrin:

Dennis