1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Check out this work...

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by TOLady, Mar 21, 2011.

1. There's something captivating about his images. He seems to be able to shoot their souls IMO. Excellent work.
    http://www.dannyst.com/gallery/portraits-of-strangers/

From checking the rest of the images on his Flickr site, it seems he's shooting these with the D300 and the 85/1.4.
    Quote: "Some of them are at f1.4, some are at f2.2"

All images are displayed here with the permission of the owner.

gallery-portraits-of-strangers-01.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

gallery-portraits-of-strangers-02.jpg

gallery-portraits-of-strangers-20.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2011
  2. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Lovely work, and indeed, the variety of images speaks to me of my times on Orchard Street in S'Pore years ago. It is truly one of the most "international" locations on the planet.

John P.

3. Wow

Sandy there is definitely a unique talent here.

The captures are breathtaking.

4. Thanks for checking out his work, John and Dave.

Yes, he certainly has a knack for street shooting. You'd never know, looking at these images, that he'd just met these people. He must have a very interesting personality to go with his great skills. These people seem very relaxed in front of his lens.

5. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Those are Deep!!! Love his in your face, digging for your soul style! Sometimes you gotta just ask for the shot. Thanks Sandi! Great Find!!!

6. corladon

corladon

Aug 7, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Thanks for the link, some good stuff.

7. Very cool!

Michael

8. very cool, nice find.

9. fwellers

fwellers

Feb 11, 2009
    Northern VA
    Yes thank you for that inspiring link. Danny comes across as a very humble guy with a lot of talent.
    He is in my chain of encouragement that will help my people-balls drop so that I can get started on some projects I want to accomplish.

I love the article about how he got his first real shoot with an important ad agency.

No fair though, with all those beauties over in Singapore. :cool: :biggrin:

10. kixsand

kixsand

Nov 13, 2009
    Toronto
    Yes! This is very good. Love the "no smile" credo!

11. dallas1351

dallas1351

Nov 14, 2009
    salem
    Thanks for sharing. He has a unique talent.

Dallas

12. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    What's truly amazing is that his captures do indeed reflect some of the beauties one sees in Singapore.

Sigh. I really need to get back there... :wink:

John P.

13. sambo.

sambo.

Mar 20, 2011
    Australia
    nice pix and technically excellent.

but, imho, it gets a little boring when they're all almost identical.

14. I dunno.. I don't think that "talent" has much to do with this, so much as being brave and up front enough to ask strangers if they're ok with getting their pic taken, then telling them to just stare blankly at you without trying to smile.

The faces themselves are pretty neat, and only credit the photog so far as to spotting them. As for the rest, I'd thank their parents for that, rather. Other than that, I like that he kept the processing at a minimum.

doug

15. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Floyd..You Kill Me!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::wink:

16. fwellers

fwellers

Feb 11, 2009
    Northern VA
    hey, don't be winking at me while I'm talking about my balls dropping. :biggrin::biggrin:

17. I think the images are fascinating because there's no wall between the subjects' eyes and the lens. I've seen many photos which have invisible walls. This guy has achieved this with strangers, which is even more difficult. I've looked at each image, slowly, taking in all the details of the faces and reactions to the camera and the photog. To the quick observer, yes, they all appear the same.

18. You are right some real good stuff here, there is a lot more to just pointing and shooting and this guy gets that

19. He really does dig deep! Thanks for sharing!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.