Check out this work...

There's something captivating about his images. He seems to be able to shoot their souls IMO. Excellent work.
http://www.dannyst.com/gallery/portraits-of-strangers/

From checking the rest of the images on his Flickr site, it seems he's shooting these with the D300 and the 85/1.4.
Quote: "Some of them are at f1.4, some are at f2.2"

All images are displayed here with the permission of the owner.

gallery-portraits-of-strangers-01.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

gallery-portraits-of-strangers-02.jpg

gallery-portraits-of-strangers-20.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely work, and indeed, the variety of images speaks to me of my times on Orchard Street in S'Pore years ago. It is truly one of the most "international" locations on the planet.

John P.

Thanks for checking out his work, John and Dave.

Yes, he certainly has a knack for street shooting. You'd never know, looking at these images, that he'd just met these people. He must have a very interesting personality to go with his great skills. These people seem very relaxed in front of his lens.

Those are Deep!!! Love his in your face, digging for your soul style! Sometimes you gotta just ask for the shot. Thanks Sandi! Great Find!!!

Yes thank you for that inspiring link. Danny comes across as a very humble guy with a lot of talent.
He is in my chain of encouragement that will help my people-balls drop so that I can get started on some projects I want to accomplish.

I love the article about how he got his first real shoot with an important ad agency.

No fair though, with all those beauties over in Singapore. :cool::biggrin:

What's truly amazing is that his captures do indeed reflect some of the beauties one sees in Singapore.

Sigh. I really need to get back there... :wink:

John P.

nice pix and technically excellent.

but, imho, it gets a little boring when they're all almost identical.

I dunno.. I don't think that "talent" has much to do with this, so much as being brave and up front enough to ask strangers if they're ok with getting their pic taken, then telling them to just stare blankly at you without trying to smile.

The faces themselves are pretty neat, and only credit the photog so far as to spotting them. As for the rest, I'd thank their parents for that, rather. Other than that, I like that he kept the processing at a minimum.

doug

Yes thank you for that inspiring link. Danny comes across as a very humble guy with a lot of talent.
He is in my chain of encouragement that will help my people-balls drop so that I can get started on some projects I want to accomplish.

I love the article about how he got his first real shoot with an important ad agency.

Floyd..You Kill Me!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::wink:

I think the images are fascinating because there's no wall between the subjects' eyes and the lens. I've seen many photos which have invisible walls. This guy has achieved this with strangers, which is even more difficult. I've looked at each image, slowly, taking in all the details of the faces and reactions to the camera and the photog. To the quick observer, yes, they all appear the same.

Latest threads

Top Bottom