Checking In..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jarrell, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    I thought I'd stop by and see how everyone is doing and catch up on who is buying what and what is the latest and hottest. My other hobby, model railroading has been keeping me busy lately but I've not forgotten my first passion, photography. It is nice that photography goes hand in hand with almost any other pursuit in life. I do a bit of research in model railroading in an attempt to see how this or that was built and how it was used and my camera is invaluable in this regard. I also get to do a lot of just fun stuff, like taking the grandkids to the Great Smoky Mountains and riding the excursion train...
    leaving out of Bryson City and following the Nantahala River for about 20 miles..
    If you keep your eyes open you can get some nice shots as the train meanders along, such as these rafters..
    and Fontana Lake in the early morning hours..
    Luckily, the train goes fairly slow in its effort to make some of the grades and hair pin curves. I got the shot below of this 1880s farm house, built by 5 brothers in this, at the time, very remote area....
    On the way back to the station the littlest one conked out on my shoulder..
    We took the kids over to Gatlinburg, Tenn. and I think the most interesting shot I got there was of these three Mallard ducks. Mallards aren't unusual at all, but where these particular birds decided to take a break was. They're sitting about 12 feet from the curb on a busy street with traffic zooming by just a few feet away..
    Evidently they're used to it.
    Jarrell

2. nice to hear from you Jarrell. Glad you had a good trip with the family.

3. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Hello Harris! We had a fine time, it wasn't too hot or too cold and the rain missed us. I think the kids had a good time.
    Jarrell

4. Hi Jarrell;

Sounds like a great trip. love the shots of the lake and farm house. Thanks for posting.

Brian

5. Good to hear from you, I have been on that train it is a nice trip. Glad to see you are doign well stay in touch

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Nice shots Jarrell, and it's cool to see the self portrait as well. Be careful in Gatlinburg though. It's one scarey place!

7. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Brian, the farmhouse made a great 11x14 print and I was a little surprised given the train is gently swaying from side to side plus moving forward. I got lucky!!
    Mike, it is a nice little trip, isn't it. Now I want to do the other 'legs' of the line. Mike, it's nice to see you here!
    Chris, Gatlinburg is something isn't it. An awful lot of people cramed into one main street, though they do have a nice aquarium there now. Didn't get in it this trip though.
    Jarrell

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi Jarrell,

so gald you stopped in. Sure miss you and your images.

Haven't even heard a good Bubba story in a while :>))

Glad you had a nice trip. I like trains alot. Taking a trip cross country on a train. Wonder what that would be like..

Love that farm house for sure. A great money shot that is.

Seems the Mallards do that in many areas. We have them wander around our parking lot at work. Babies in tow.

Wonderful images. Thank you for taking us on your trip to a very pretty part of the country.

Been a longgggggg time since I have been there.

Say hello to Carol and Hanna.

9. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Gale, thank you for your kind reply.. I appreciate it. The Smoky Mountains truly is a very lovely place and it had been a while since I had been there myself. They're not the majestic mountains the Rockies are but they have a quiet, tree covered beauty all their own.
    Jarrell

10. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Great shots Jarrel! I like the little cottage shot - looks almost like an aerial

11. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Jarrell,

I know that you had a ball. I don't know if you caught my earlier thread that I spent three days at the end of April shooting in the Bryson City area. I gave serious thoughts to taking that train ride. The rafting shot looks like you may have been on the opposite bank from where I did some of my shooting. I got in about four shots of a sister engine with rafters in the foreground. Having someone from the area made it a lot easier to take me to all the waterfalls. I doubt if I would have found them on my own. Other shooting locations as well.

12. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    It does look like an aerial doesn't it Gregory. I believe the track was following a low ridge at this point. The house is actually a fair sized one, two stories tall.
    Jarrell

13. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Larry, I know that must have been a great help having a guide. You'll have to fill me in some time on the best spots!
    I'd like to see your shot of the rafters and the train in the background.
    Jarrell

14. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    I'd have to have my guide again to find the locations that I was taken to. Some were off back roads that I would never find on my own.

This album has the rafting shots including 4 with the train. The amount of engine showing is on purpose since the rest of the train was hidden behind trees and bushes. That gave me one clear spot to get what I got.
    http://members6.clubphoto.com/larry512016/3215539/owner-1e4c.phtml

This other album contains all the scenic locations that I was taken to. These links are a repeat for those that have already visited the albums.
    http://members6.clubphoto.com/larry512016/3215259/owner-1e4c.phtml

This next part is buried in this post. I received the 2005 winners list yesterday from the International Library of Photography for my third 1st Prize win (previous years 2001 and 2003). Other previous 1st Prize winners at NC are Laryl (with 2 wins) and Ron Reznick (1 that I'm aware of). There may be other members here that are also previous winners (including 2d Prize winners) but it would be hard for me to detect given the user names used. Other than USA 2005 1st Prize winners, other countries with winners (more than 1 in some instances) are:

New Zealand
    Namibia
    Slovenia
    Canada
    Australia
    Malaysia
    UK
    Portugal
    Netherlands

There were a total of 40 2005 1st Prize winners which is same number each year.

My winner this year is "Steeplechase Jumper"

[​IMG]