Cheerleading candids

Discussion in 'People' started by Kevin Scott, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Just a couple of candid shots of my daughter and friends taken during our recent trip to Nashville for the WCA Cheerleading Nationals competition. (see this link for shots from the routine.)

These were taken in the Conservatory of the Opryland Hotel which is a giant greenhouse with all types of exotic plants. It has a giant glass roof which offered tons of natural light for the shots. Taken with the 70-200/2.8 VR just prior to their competition.

My daughter and her two friends hamming it up
    [​IMG]

My daughter and a close friend acting like beauty queens (their routine's theme is a parody of a beauty queen pageant)
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Very nice..

3. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Very nice shots.

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent Kevin,
    Love those images.

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Really nice shots. They look beautiful! So, how'd they do in the comp?

7. Johntu

Johntu

Jul 4, 2005
    Fremont, CA
    Beautiful daughter, nice captures

8. Great shots you have a beautiful daughter Kevin... The countdown to Merritt III has begun

9. Thanks Dave, Jeff, Gale and John! Appreciate you taking time to comment.

Paul-Yes, I'm a very proud Dad! I think I get more excited during these competitions than the girls do. My daughter has made many friends at this gym, even though it's in a different county and they don't go to school together. Some of these kids have become like adopted children to my wife and I. They're a great bunch of kids and the sport really teaches them some valuable lessons.

Steve-Well, technically they came in 3rd place out of 9 teams. There were 9 points separating 1st and 3rd place. When the coaches picked up the score sheets after the awards, they noticed they were penalized 10 pts for a safety violation due to the tiaras (made from pipe cleaners). Our coach spoke to the head judge the day before and got a signed off approval for the tiaras. Apparently the 2nd day judges were unaware. When brought to their attention, the 2nd day judges refused to make any corrections so we had to settle for 3rd place. Girls from the winning team left comments on our team's website saying we should've won so in a way, we were victorious.

Mike-Thanks for the kind words. Though I enjoy shooting these kinds of shots, I'm anxious for MI3 and shooting the flying type of birds! :wink: Looking forward to finally meeting you and hope to brush shoulders with you and pray some of your talent rubs off onto me!! :biggrin:

10. Kevin,
    Well done. I like their expressions you captured. Congrats on their 3rd place. It was good meeting you at Guntersville. Maybe next time we'll see some eagles. It's always hit or miss and you have to work fast when the action happens. The bird action in Florida is much more a sure thing. I first photographed birds in the Everglades in 1989. It's been down hill ever since. We need to enjoy what he have before it goes away.

11. Cute fun loving pictures. I'm happy for them that they did well in competition.

12. Hi Muril! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! It was really nice getting to meet you. You got me eyeing that Bigma again, in case you didn't notice me staring! :wink:

You should really try to come down next month! I realized just how good we have it here, even if the eagles behave the same way! At least we SAW them, though! :smile:

Take care!

13. Thanks, Gordon!

With the "myspace" craze going on with teenagers nowadays, it was actually my daughter's idea to take these shots so she could use them on her page. As it turns out, the one friend has asked me to take her shots, which I may do in exchange for advertising. The other asked me to take her Senior Pictures. Always pays to be a "cool" dad, or at least try in my case! :wink: :cool:

14. PixelPete

PixelPete Guest

Its hard not to smile when I see these shots Kevin.If one theme stands out for me in these its friendship.The second one should be posted someplace in public poster sized.What a precious shot!