1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Chicago Air and Water Show

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by eng45ine, Aug 2, 2008.

1. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The Chicago Air and Water Show is scheduled for Friday, August 15 thru Sunday, August 17 along the Lake Michigan shoreline at North Avenue Beach. The water show begins at 9am and the air show runs from 11am thru 4pm. On Friday, actor/comedian Bill Murray will skydive with a military skydive team at 3pm, then the Lt. Dan Band will perform a free concert at 5pm. A few of us from the Nikon Cafe will be there on Friday and we would enjoy your company as well. If you want to hook up with us, leave a message here.

2. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
  3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Ah...thanks Gene, you are too kind. The Nikon Cafe is host to several photographers who are very very good at shooting aircraft, I've learned so much from viewing their images and explanations. I'm hoping for good weather and even better shooting company.

4. Frank,

I wish I could be there as I've always wanted to try shooting the Air and Water Show. But, I'll be in Galena that weekend celebrating my mother's 70th birthday.

Maybe next year?

Glenn

5. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Frank, I'm hoping to make it Friday, but if that doesn't work out it'll be Thursday practice for me. What gear do you recommend? My long lenses include the 300 f4, 70-300VR, 70-200VR and the 1.7 TC. Would a tripod be appropriate, or is it too crowded?
    Ken

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Ken, I may be there as well for the practice. Long glass is best, I use my 300mm f/2.8 and 1.4x TC. A 400mm lens and TC would even be better. I don't think the 70-200mm with a TC is a good option.

7. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks Frank. I just listed the 1.7 TC to let you know I had one - I'd be using it with the 300mm, if I used it at all. Would you recommend that a tripod/monopod be used?

8. Do you guys know what time does the practice start and what is expected. Any details would be appreciated.

I want to take my 2 boys there and I feel that going Fri-Sun it is too much for them (and me).

9. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    frankier, I am not able to find anything that says when the Thursday practices will be. Maybe someone else here knows, or a call to Chicago's info line at 3-1-1 might get an answer.

10. Thanks - Called the Mayor Office of Special Events and they clearly say that there is no practice today .... but I don't 100% trust them..... The pilots still have to become acquainted with the space they are flying ..... I think

11. I'll be there on... Sunday
    Where would you recommend we stand/set-up?

-jeff

12. If you have a gimbal head you can use a tripod. Other than that, they will be too slow. Monopods are OK if you are shooting level shoots, which you won't be much of the time. Most times you will following the planes as they fly by and then pull up vertically. Jets will maintain a higher altitude than the old prop driven planes which means you will be angling the lens up most of the time.

I just returned from Thunder over Michigan and hand held my 300mm f2.8 VR. Most shots were in focus and that is shooting at 320/second to get prop blur on the WW II airplanes. Modern jets I shoot at 1000/second and let the aperture take care of itself. Also, I set the ISO at 400 and took it off auto. The fewer things for the camera to set when focusing the better.

13. OK - Practice is 11-4 today Thursday 14 - confirmed

Have a blast ..... :smile:

14. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks SLRshooter for those setup tips. I do have a gimbal head and will use it.
    Thanks also to frankier, on the practice times.

15. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    I've heard that North Ave is the place to be.

16. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Use the monopod, Ken, the place to way too croweded for a tripod. We'll be at the concession tomorrow by 11am.

17. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Use the monopod, Ken, the place to way too croweded for a tripod. We'll be at the concession tomorrow by 11am. Additionally, I handhold my camera and lens for the show, but a monopod with a nice swivelhead is a sweet set-up.

18. on location 1:30PM .....

Oak Street beach ......

So far lots of routines by the Blue Angels ..... Spoke with a couple of USAF pilot and confirmed that only Blue Angels will practice today.

The good news is that, according to those two guys, the Blue Angels will reharse the whole show at 3 PM.

19. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  20. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks Frank - I took the tripod yesterday for the practice, and wound up handholding most of my shots as it seems easier to follow the action. I'm going to try to get back out this afternoon - I'll look for you if I can make it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.