Chicago Botanical Gardens

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by eng45ine, Aug 30, 2005.

1. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Papa85 (Tony) and I spent the day at the Chicago Botanical Gardens in Glencoe, IL. I thought that I would post a few of my images. I wish that I would have noted the species of flowers to identify them for you, but I didn't. If you ever visit the Chicago area, these grounds are impecably groomed. A local treasure.

Constructive criticism and comments are always welcomed.

2. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Very nice shots Frank. # 2 is a unusual flower isnt it?

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    It's some type of a flower rising out of a lily pad, Biggs. Don't know what it is, but it sure is unique.

4. Very nice Frank, I am not that great on the flower id's but the first one looks like a Dahlia and the second a Lotus.

Looks a like a beautiful spot.

Martin

5. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Great stuff there Frank..

6. Your first two images are absolutely gorgeous. My favorite is #2. I also like the way you handled the DOF in image #3, well done.

7. Very nice captures, Frank. I like the color very much.

The 2nd one is lotus, and you can see the seed pod in the center. Lotus seed, and lotus root, are edible and can be found in a lot of delicious Chinese dishes.

8. Verrry nice, Frank :smile:. I think the last picture is a Hisbiscus.

Let's hear about it. Were the shots taken handheld? And which lens?

9. They are all first class. In #3 you have a repeat of the shape of the top of the fence, is that a building in the background? that's very well compose.

10. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the help with the variety of flower, Frank. These were shot with 70-200mm f/2.8 VR on a tripod. None were shot with a flash, but the last image would certainly have benefited from some to brighten it up a touch. I just added a little tweaking in levels, some sharpening in USM and a hint of cropping.

11. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Gilles. In the backgound of that image is a concrete monument that, I believe, may have a light inside. I don't know what they call it but it is about 42 inches tall and they were scattered throughout the oriental garden.

12. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I've seen the inside pod in craft stores before but wondered what they were and where they came from...well, now I know. As you can see, when the flower is alive, they are very yellow...when the flower dies, the pods turn a very dark brown and the holes enlarge. I've seen the dried pods in floral arrangements before.

13. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Phil, I appreciate the kind words and info on the Lotus plant. The pod is edible heh? I may have to try that someday if I ever see it.

14. Frank, the seeds are edible, but not the pod itself. The dried pod, however, is ingredient in some soups and is suppose to be good to the body. We also use the dry lotus leaves in cooking - wrapping meat or rice or whatever in it and steam, leaving a mild lotus taste in the food.

When it comes to cooking, Chinese are very innovative. :smile:

15. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Great job on these shots Frank! Love the Lotus! Hey, have you ever tried the voice memo fuction of you 2H? Works Great, and would be indespensable for noting the species of the flowers, etc. I used it for the 1st time when I needed to get someone's phone number :biggrin: It attaches a small .wav file to the pic, and shows as a musical note in N View. You can then to to Edit, (I think that''s where it is), then select "play sound file". Cool, huh?

16. Beauties, Frank. Phil K has described the multiple uses of lotus in Asia. I would add that the petals are also used to perfume tea.

BTW, I think the last one is a hibicus but I'm not 100% sure.

17. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Steve...Papa85 (Tony) showed me how to use the microphone feature last week...he has been my mentor lately. He knows quite a bit about the D2H's features. A great little gizmo that I haven't used yet...don't ask why.

18. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the additional information, Phil. You are truly correct, Asians are a very resourceful group of people. Countrymen rich in tradition and cultures.

19. mrtac2man

mrtac2man

Jun 3, 2005
    CT
    as always great stuff Frank....love the 2nd one..

Tim

20. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks very much Tim.