Chicago Botanical Gardens

Papa85 (Tony) and I spent the day at the Chicago Botanical Gardens in Glencoe, IL. I thought that I would post a few of my images. I wish that I would have noted the species of flowers to identify them for you, but I didn't. If you ever visit the Chicago area, these grounds are impecably groomed. A local treasure.

48480227.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 14734
View attachment 14735
View attachment 14736

Constructive criticism and comments are always welcomed.

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
Very nice captures, Frank. I like the color very much.

The 2nd one is lotus, and you can see the seed pod in the center. Lotus seed, and lotus root, are edible and can be found in a lot of delicious Chinese dishes.

Verrry nice, Frank :smile:. I think the last picture is a Hisbiscus.

Let's hear about it. Were the shots taken handheld? And which lens?

They are all first class. In #3 you have a repeat of the shape of the top of the fence, is that a building in the background? that's very well compose.

Uncle Frank said:
Verrry nice, Frank :smile:. I think the last picture is a Hisbiscus.

Let's hear about it. Were the shots taken handheld? And which lens?
Thanks for the help with the variety of flower, Frank. These were shot with 70-200mm f/2.8 VR on a tripod. None were shot with a flash, but the last image would certainly have benefited from some to brighten it up a touch. I just added a little tweaking in levels, some sharpening in USM and a hint of cropping.

Gilles said:
They are all first class. In #3 you have a repeat of the shape of the top of the fence, is that a building in the background? that's very well compose.
Thanks Gilles. In the backgound of that image is a concrete monument that, I believe, may have a light inside. I don't know what they call it but it is about 42 inches tall and they were scattered throughout the oriental garden.

biggstr6 said:
Very nice shots Frank. # 2 is a unusual flower isnt it?
I've seen the inside pod in craft stores before but wondered what they were and where they came from...well, now I know. As you can see, when the flower is alive, they are very yellow...when the flower dies, the pods turn a very dark brown and the holes enlarge. I've seen the dried pods in floral arrangements before.

Phil K said:
Very nice captures, Frank. I like the color very much.

The 2nd one is lotus, and you can see the seed pod in the center. Lotus seed, and lotus root, are edible and can be found in a lot of delicious Chinese dishes.
Thanks Phil, I appreciate the kind words and info on the Lotus plant. The pod is edible heh? I may have to try that someday if I ever see it.

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
Frank, the seeds are edible, but not the pod itself. The dried pod, however, is ingredient in some soups and is suppose to be good to the body. We also use the dry lotus leaves in cooking - wrapping meat or rice or whatever in it and steam, leaving a mild lotus taste in the food.

When it comes to cooking, Chinese are very innovative. :smile:

Great job on these shots Frank! Love the Lotus! Hey, have you ever tried the voice memo fuction of you 2H? Works Great, and would be indespensable for noting the species of the flowers, etc. I used it for the 1st time when I needed to get someone's phone number :biggrin: It attaches a small .wav file to the pic, and shows as a musical note in N View. You can then to to Edit, (I think that''s where it is), then select "play sound file". Cool, huh?

Beauties, Frank. Phil K has described the multiple uses of lotus in Asia. I would add that the petals are also used to perfume tea.

BTW, I think the last one is a hibicus but I'm not 100% sure.

Steve S said:
Great job on these shots Frank! Love the Lotus! Hey, have you ever tried the voice memo fuction of you 2H? Works Great, and would be indespensable for noting the species of the flowers, etc. I used it for the 1st time when I needed to get someone's phone number :biggrin: It attaches a small .wav file to the pic, and shows as a musical note in N View. You can then to to Edit, (I think that''s where it is), then select "play sound file". Cool, huh?
Hey Steve...Papa85 (Tony) showed me how to use the microphone feature last week...he has been my mentor lately. He knows quite a bit about the D2H's features. A great little gizmo that I haven't used yet...don't ask why.

Phil K said:
Frank, the seeds are edible, but not the pod itself. The dried pod, however, is ingredient in some soups and is suppose to be good to the body. We also use the dry lotus leaves in cooking - wrapping meat or rice or whatever in it and steam, leaving a mild lotus taste in the food.

When it comes to cooking, Chinese are very innovative. :smile:
Thanks for the additional information, Phil. You are truly correct, Asians are a very resourceful group of people. Countrymen rich in tradition and cultures.

Latest threads

Top Bottom