Chicago for Easter

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by Elf_8, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Hi all ! Going to Chicago for the Easter weekend. Almost 4 full days, and first time there. Any recommandations for a photog and his wife ? What about security and gear to carry along ? Are the river and lake tours a good way to discover the cityscapes and make good images, or is it better walking ?

Thanks for any input.

2. FishSauce

FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Christian,
    - River and lake tours are quite a unique view to discover Chicago skyline.
    - Don't forget the Millennium Park
    - Navy Pier
    - A walk along Michigan Ave from Millennium Park to Water Tower. The city architechture will blow your socks away :biggrin:
    - A walk along the lake
    - Too many more places to mention... :smile:
    You could carry all your cameras and your gears you want along the Michigan Ave. You will love our city. :smile:

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    While at Navy Pier, I highly recommend that you take the wife on a brunch cruise on the Mystic Blue. This is a wonderful 3-hour cruise that offers a very nice buffet and a beautiful tour of the Chicago skyline.

Security, you won't have to worry about carrying your gear in the popular locations in Chicago. As with any large city, you are always advised to stay on the major streets and not to stray in areas less inhabited.

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    While in the city, you can visit the Lincoln Park Zoo, the many museums, Sears Tower...which all are a short taxi ride away from your hotel.

5. Thank you both Chicagoans !
    I'm reading two good guides, but there's nothing like insiders' advices, especially from a photographer perspective. I will certainly take a cruise, such as those Mystic Blue is offering. Sunset, blue hour, and lit skyline will make my main course.
    Thanks for the note on security also. Streetwise, but not paranoiac.

6. Ben and Frank, just want to tell you that I am in the Loop at this moment. We arrived this morning and spent all day walking around Millenium Park and around. I wanted to share my first impressions : Chicago is among the most if not the most photogenic city I've ever seen. It's cold and windy and I'm down tired, but I'll be back on the streets tomorrow as soon as I wake up.
    A Happy Easter to you.

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Christian,

Welcome to Chicago, I sure wish the weather was a bit warmer for you, but at least it isn't snowing. Tomorrow, walk toward the Chicago River on Michigan Avenue. There is a walkway on the south side of the river, go down those stairs and walk slowly and quietly east (toward Lake Michigan) looking into the trees that line the river. If you are very stealth, you will find the whet-saw owl sitting in the tree. Get some images for us, I was hoping to get there this weekend, but my schedule is rather full right now.

8. Sharon

Sharon

Feb 18, 2006
    Christian, welcome to Chicago! Just wanted to add to the other excellent suggestions, that the Architectual Boat Tour is both informative and a good opportunity for some good photos. It may be a bit chilly, unfortunately. But, if the weather doesn't bother you, you might find it interesting to see and hear about some of the interesting architecture around the city. Enjoy your weekend and share those photos!

9. FishSauce

FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Christian,
    Welcome to Chicago, glad that you like our city.
    Too bad that the weather is a bit cold this week, if you come back in July then you could enjoy something like this at The Millennium Park

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2007
  10. Happy Easter !

My wife and I are spending a good part of the day inside - the Art Institute. So, it'll be a bit relaxed photowise. But right after, we will haed toward the Mag Mile. On the way, we will walk up to the shore that Frank has pointed and will try to spot the owl. Hopefully...
    Yesterday, we walked the Deco Architecture Tour - In two days I filled a 2 Gig card, and I'm now shooting compressed NEF on a 1 Gig spare...

11. I'm back. A lot of material to process. Here's my first impression of a cold Easter Weekend in the windy city...

[​IMG]

Taken from the Adler Planetarium.

12. FishSauce

FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Christian,
    Adler Planetarium is the best location to take picture of the Chicago skyline. I like the could.
    Glad that you have a good time in Chicago.

13. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    You'll get some nice snow-covered shots tomorrow if the forecasters are correct.

14. I finally managed to complete my Chicago gallery. My wife and I came back with a promise to return and spend at least a full week exploring more of Chicago.
    Photos helping and because of our comments, many of our friends and relatives are now putting the City of Winds on their list of places to visit.

My Chicago gallery is here :
    http://Elf8.smugmug.com/gallery/2693363/7/145660910

I will post a few in the "Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes" section.