1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Chicago Skyline revisited

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by kgilby, Sep 7, 2008.

1. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    I had posted a shot of the skyline a week or so ago - here's that shot...

... and Leung gave me the suggestion to try the shot in better light. So I took a ride yesterday morning and re-did the pano. I used the 70-200 for the 2nd pano (17-55 for the 1st), as I noticed on RFCGraphics great website of panos. Your comments are appreciated.

Ken

2. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    I like the 1st pano better Ken. What time in the morning did you shoot this and which location did you shoot it from? Thanks.

3. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

I like the second pano because it's larger and there's more detail, but I like pano #1 because of the coloring. Maybe if you boosted the saturation levels a bit?

4. I like them both...but, I do think that the lighting is generally more dramatic earlier in the morning. These aren't panoramics, but I'm posting them only to show the increased saturation and contrast achieved through early morning lighting:

#1: Just before sunrise
    p281533753-5.

#2: Just after sunrise
    p446624976-5.

Glenn

5. Glenn, very nice pictures. I live in Ann Arbor, MI and love visiting Chicago.

Question - I would like to know the exact location where you took these shots from, because the next time I visit chicago, I want to try a Telephoto panorama from the same spot. That should make for a nice compressed <and detailed> Pano of downtown buldings.

Thanks in advance,

6. Sanjay,

The shots I posted were from the Adler Planetarium.

East Solidarity Drive runs along the lake from the Adler Planetarium to the Shedd Aquarium. I temporarily parked by the parking meters along the curb and stepped out onto the grass to take these images. There are also some parking garages nearby--but they weren't open yet at 5:45 am!

Glenn

7. Thanks, Glenn - appreciate your response.

8. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago

Shekhar,
    This was taken around 10:30 am or so. I was out at the Adler Planetarium. Thanks for your thoughts.
    Ken

9. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks Lyndee. I think you're right, #2 looks flatter because of the lighting, but because of the tighter crop and different focal length lens used, it has more detail. I think Glenn has the answer - shoot with better front lighting to get the detail AND contrast.

Ken

10. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Glenn, great shots. You are right, the difference of a lower light source does make the skyline pop. I'll have to set my alarm, I guess.

Ken

11. Ken,

I like your shots as well.

It's not often that I shoot sunrises--especially when I must leave the house by 5:00 am to do so. Although, the lighting is more favorable at that time.

Glenn

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.