1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Chicago skyline

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by CyberFish, Aug 9, 2009.

1. CyberFish

CyberFish

Mar 1, 2009
    Mundelein,IL
    Im sure it has been done before, but I was pretty excited to know that I took this photo. For some reason, a few of the buildings look slanted. I know for sure the camera was level. I did rotate the pic a few degrees so it looked more flat.

skylinepanoramic2.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. I believe that the tilting of the buildings is a result of lens distortion.

I drove by this scene earlier tonight, but the lighting didn't make paying for parking worthwhile for me.

Glenn

3. CyberFish

CyberFish

Mar 1, 2009
    Mundelein,IL
    Ahh, gotcha. I didnt pay to park when I took these. I parked near the turn around by the Shed. Walked closer towards the shed and stood near the steps with the tripod.

4. northrop

northrop

Apr 20, 2008
    Chicago
    You can easily fix that in photoshop with the warp tool. Another great tool is PTLens which usually fixes distortion with a click of a mouse (i highly recommend it).

And i need to go back there to take yet another pano. I just love this view!

5. Nice shot. Yes, it is wide angle distortion.

6. CyberFish

CyberFish

Mar 1, 2009
    Mundelein,IL
    Gotcha. I still have much to learn with PP and the actual photography. :redface:

I absolutely love this pic. It is the background of 2 PCs and my laptop.

7. northrop

northrop

Apr 20, 2008
    Chicago
    I often use my work as wallpaper as well. It's a great feeling, when people come it to your house, and ask you where you got that wallpaper ;) 

This pano is very similar (almost identical) to the first Chicago pano i did when i first started with photography, about year and a half ago. One you get a hang of it and learn few tricks, every next pano is going to look better and better.

This was my latest pano work. I just love the Chicago skyline as much as the next guy ;)  If you have any questions about shooting panoramas or post precessing, don't hesitate to PM me ;) 

Have a great day, and see you out there! :tongue:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  8. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Excellent!

9. LSSE

LSSE Guest

very nice. I hope they end up bulding the chicago spire so I can make an excuse to visit!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.