Chicago Sun Times and iPhones?????

I just read their reporters start Etch-E-Sketch training next week!!!!! LMAO!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
From the article: from Editor Craig Newman: “In the coming days and weeks, we’ll be working with all editorial employees to train and outfit you as much as possible to produce the content we need.”

I don't get it - They lay off the (experienced) entire staff that was already producing "the content they need", and expect to get the same quality product from employees totally inexperienced in "producing this content" by giving them a day or two of training? Really?

Typical Corporate-think. --- All that's required to take a photo is knowing how to snap the shutter. Any trained monkey could do it. :rolleyes: Yeah, that'll work out well - especially on the Sports Page!

It would be funny, if it weren't so sad.

Very embarrassing for them!

They must be on the verge of bankruptcy to make this kind of desperate decision - and it'll probably be the downfall of them.

If photographers could write they would have done it the other way around :biggrin:

I agree with the comments here, the management seem to be on a path to bankruptcy and closure and forced into a downward spiral of cost cuttings and revenue losses.

But you have to admit that even if we, and a large number of people, value professional photos, a larger majority of people "are not bothered" (reference to Catherine Tate's character) and are not even buying newspapers.

The End is Nigh ;-)

I agree with the comments here, the management seem to be on a path to bankruptcy and closure and forced into a downward spiral of cost cuttings and revenue losses.

But you have to admit that even if we, and a large number of people, value professional photos, a larger majority of people "are not bothered" (reference to Catherine Tate's character) and are not even buying newspapers.

The End is Nigh ;-)

It is a combination of things. Readership is down for the print copy. Newspapers are playing catchup in regards to getting advertiser dollars for the internet.

In film days, the staff needed photographers to handle the shot and the technical side of things. With digital, the process of actually getting the picture ready for publication isn't all that hard anymore. From a purely technical point of view, the skills needed to get the pic ready have moved from the photographer to the person doing layouts. All they need area few shots from the reporter.

We also have people willing to give pictures away for free so they can say they are published. When the paper can get great shots from really good hobbyists, they don't need staffers as much. I imagine they are going to start running photo contests now for feature art. The paper I used to work for did this. They ran a whole months worth of people's vacation photos on the front page of the county section.

But what happens when you need a long lens because of police lines?

It is a combination of things. Readership is down for the print copy. Newspapers are playing catchup in regards to getting advertiser dollars for the internet.

In film days, the staff needed photographers to handle the shot and the technical side of things. With digital, the process of actually getting the picture ready for publication isn't all that hard anymore. From a purely technical point of view, the skills needed to get the pic ready have moved from the photographer to the person doing layouts. All they need area few shots from the reporter.

We also have people willing to give pictures away for free so they can say they are published. When the paper can get great shots from really good hobbyists, they don't need staffers as much. I imagine they are going to start running photo contests now for feature art. The paper I used to work for did this. They ran a whole months worth of people's vacation photos on the front page of the county section.

Maybe Marissa Mayer was right when she said there's no such thing as a Pro photographer anymore? Maybe getting rid of the Flicr Pro accounts was the CST's major influence? :tongue:

But what happens when you need a long lens because of police lines?

Just crop, it will be "good enough".

When there is a breaking story, the photo editor will have a call list of freelancers in the area. There will be a need of skilled pj's, but the days of making a living being strictly a pj are over for the most part.

They need video for internet publication, not for print. That being their future business model.

When I go to a news site I NEVER open a video. For one it always starts with a commercial. For the second, it takes to long. I read the story in less time.

I went to a lecture and there was a Sun Times photog there, Pulitzer Prize winner I might add, and he talked at great length about the effort they put in trying to get a winning pic. He was also featured on some of the Chicago TV stories about the layoff.
No writer is going to make that happen. He is half handicapped from carrying a bag of Nikons around, seriously.

Sun Times has been on the rocks for decades now. Chicago has eaten numerous daily papers in my life. The Tribune is all that is left. They lean so far left I CANCELLED MY subscription 15 years ago. They want to cater to the left wing who have no jobs and certainly buy no papers. They have little time left in my opinion also. They deliver papers by car in my neighborhood and I can tell you they used to leave one at every other house. Down to one in ten now. They also think internet subscription is the way to go.

First it was farm jobs, then manufacturing, then white collar, and now there is nobody to buy a paper. Think about what government policy is done. And it is not just one party either. Some day we will demand better government because it all blows down to everyone eventually.

Just crop, it will be "good enough".

When there is a breaking story, the photo editor will have a call list of freelancers in the area. There will be a need of skilled pj's, but the days of making a living being strictly a pj are over for the most part.

Sad... And I think you're right on!! I've have been freelancing for the last few years. I was HOPING to pursue a career as a full time PJ when I retire in a few years from my full time job. Don't think that's gonna be a reality for me now...

just like JC Penny's price changing and getting rid of old top brands, they are going BROKE NOW!! and will never be back.............OH WELL!

Latest threads

Top Bottom