Chicago Sun Times lays off entire photo staff

That's sad, another 28 people out of jobs, I believe the Sun is going to be sold from what I have read........

Phil......:smile:

unfortunately that is the way it has been, I freelance for a publication that will not hire a staff photog simply because they can farm out assignments to multiple photogs cheaper than paying one staffer.

This is what happens when a media source can get free pictures, or people willing to do the job cheap so they can say they got published.

This is what happens when a media source can get free pictures, or people willing to do the job cheap so they can say they got published.

Well it's also what happens when people don't read newspapers anymore. Crazy to keep 28 full time photography staff on an ailing newspaper that fewer and fewer people are actually buying. The full time reporters, if there are any, will also have to go freelance pretty soon. Times are changing and the job market will adjust as it always has done.

The other problem is that newspapers set a bad standard by at first offering there online services for free. Everyone started using that rather than paying for a paper. Now physical papers have become redundant the media outlets cannot start charging for online services as everyone is so used to getting it for free they will refuse to pay up.

I feel sorry for all those town criers who were made redundant when mass printing was invented. Nobody cares about them anymore! Where are their union representatives?

The buying (clicking) public demands sensationalism. It's hard for a newspaper to compete for the buyers' attention with all those silly journalistic restrictions such as sourcing, validation, and trying to deal in fact rather than hyped-up opinion and insinuation. Crowd-sourced, narcissistic, melodramatic, opinionated infotainment that draws hits to a website is the future of our news, because that's what pays the bills.

The buying (clicking) public demands sensationalism. It's hard for a newspaper to compete for the buyers' attention with all those silly journalistic restrictions such as sourcing, validation, and trying to deal in fact rather than hyped-up opinion and insinuation. Crowd-sourced, narcissistic, melodramatic, opinionated infotainment that draws hits to a website is the future of our news, because that's what pays the bills.

Plus, why would anyone want factual information when you can have such a great mind numbing experience watching Honey Boo Boo and other retarded "reality" shows?

Well it's also what happens when people don't read newspapers anymore.

This is a big part of it IMO. NOLA doesn't even have a daily in print anymore - sales are that low.

The internet has changed the game. I used to subscribe to several papers, but don't now as the "news", except for very local news, is yesterdays news. Crowdsourcing & freelancers, unfortunately, fit the new "24/7/365 instant" paradigm far better and honestly a picture shot with an iPhone has plenty of resolution.

I have no idea what those photogs were paid, but if you think about it, 28 photogs at say $100,000/yr/photog (pay, taxes, equipment, expenses, office space, etc all included) is $2.8 million/yr. That pays for a whole lot of free...

In all fairness however there are still high quality daily newspapers around (even in America!) and I think there always will be. I would not shed any tears if the other 90% of trash newspapers fell by the wayside though together with the trashy journalists and paparazzi who work there. Let them transfer to the internet where they will always have a ready market.

My opinion has nothing to do with "quality". I's not at all that I have a poor opinion of the newspapers. It is a "sound bite" world in may ways which has nothing to do with the product, and everything to do with the way news is consumed by the end user. I get several e-mails a day with local business news which is almost everything that I care about anyway. But that makes me part of the "problem".

Purely a personal preference, for higher quality or more in depth coverage, I generally turn to magazines which I still like in print. Those will probably fall next to online reading, but the quality should remain.

What about giving out the newspaper for free , reach larger audiences (who doesn't like freebies) then earn from ads ....

What about giving out the newspaper for free , reach larger audiences (who doesn't like freebies) then earn from ads ....

There are several free daily newspapers in London now. Some were started as free newspapers and some have followed suit. In fact the London Evening Standard existed for 180 years before becoming a free newspaper just a few years ago. They all seem to survive very well on advertising alone.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom