[Chicago Tribune] Digital Camera Market Sales

There was an interesting article in the Trib this morning about digital camera sales. When the iPhone came out, and specifically when Apple made significant improvements to its camera, many thought the need for a dedicated camera would fall away as people moved toward integrated devices.

Interestingly, people are actually moving the other way - more people are buying dedicated digital cameras, and more of those cameras are higher-end DSLRs these days. One reason is preference for higher quality most phones' cameras cannot achieve, and peoples' desire for finer family and vacation photos. The other is affordability - while the first DSLRs in the early 2000s cost $2k - $3k, today's entry-level kits come in around $500.

Global digital camera sales (P+S, bridge cameras, and DSLRs) hovered about $28 billion in 2005, reached nearly $37 billion in 2008, and hit $35.3 billion in 2010.

Market share looks like this:
Canon - 21%
Sony - 17.3%
Nikon - 11.9%
Kodak - 8.9%
Samsung - 7.7%
All Others - 33.2%

Source.

This is HORRIBLE news, without a doubt. Look, Nikon is only #3, we barely beat out Kodak for crying out loud. We should be ashamed to be seen with a Nikon logo.

Thanks a lot, now I'm thoroughly depressed ....... :wink:

What's most shocking about that to me is that Kodak still has 8.9% of the market.

Who knew?

I don't recall the source or how credible the information was, but I read the reason Canon is so prevalent among pros is, back in the late 90s and 2000/2001, Canon made a jump in lens AF technology which beat out Nikon, who came out with their AF-S stuff a year or so later. Although the change included a new mounting system, pros and newspaper shooters who needed the best flocked to Canon and they have since established their setups with Canon. Nikon might be superior, but the incentive to switch out stocks of Canon gear is insufficiently strong.

If there's any truth to the above, that might help explain the data.

Market share looks like this:
Canon - 21%
Sony - 17.3%
Nikon - 11.9%
Kodak - 8.9%
Samsung - 7.7%
All Others - 33.2%

Source.

That data was for 2010. According to Thom Hogan (and several other sources), Nikon has been stealing market share from all the other vendors since then.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom